I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
Rhubarb Sauce has become my favorite way to enjoy rhubarb. The sauce is delicious by the spoonful, but it’s also so beautifying and complimentary with any treat as a condiment.
What to eat Beautiful Rhubarb Sauce with …
Use Rhubarb Sauce:
- in parfaits
- on cake or muffins
- over ice cream
- layered in popsicles
- on top of chia pudding (see recipe below)
- on bread or toast (Here are Keto bread, GF bread, and Paleo & AIP bread recipes.)
- with waffles (Keto, Paleo, GAPS waffles, Paleo & AIP Waffles)
- or alongside homemade Vanilla Custard (Keto, Paleo, GAPS)
It’s the loveliest shade of pink. And the texture and thickness are just perfect. It would even make a sweet, spring gift in a mason jar.
Enjoy this easy way to be both elegant and earthy with the seasons!
Paleo, Keto Rhubarb Sauce … or GAPS, AIP
This recipe is flexible in regard to the sweetener you use — depending on your diet and preference.
The original Paleo recipe uses maple syrup, yum! The Keto variation is ever so easy, just subbing in your favorite liquid Low Carb sweetener. And, of course, for GAPS we use honey! AIP may use pure maple syrup or honey.
Just a few ingredients total for a simple and delicious condiment or treat.
How to store leftovers
Leftovers keep for 5 days in the fridge. I like to store mine in a mason jar, like jam.
You can also freeze Rhubarb Sauce. Leave 2″ headroom in your mason jar (to prevent breakage), and freeze for up to 3 months, or maybe longer. Be sure to use wide mouth jars, as jars with tapered necks can snap at the neck during freezing.
When ready to use again, defrost in the fridge overnight.
Beautiful Rhubarb Sauce
- 6 slightly heaping cups rhubarb , chopped, from about 6 big stalks rhubarb
- ⅔ cup filtered water
- ¼ cup maple syrup (Use favorite liquid low-carb sweetener for Keto. Use honey for GAPS.)
- 2 Tablespoons butter (for AIP, use coconut oil)
- Place rhubarb and water in a medium-large sized saucepan. Bring water to simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and simmer 3-5 additional minutes, stirring, so water evaporates slightly but the bottom doesn't scorch.
- Turn off heat. Add maple syrup (or low carb sweetener or honey) and butter, stirring to mix.
- Serve or store in refrigerator. Keeps 5 days.
Chia Pudding with Rhubarb Sauce (not AIP)
If you wish to make the chia pudding pictured in the top rhubarb photo, it’s lovely, simple and goes great with the sauce. The pudding is unsweetened, so the rhubarb sauce compliments it perfectly. The super easy recipe follows. 🙂
2-Ingredient Chia Pudding
- bowl and spoon, optional whisk
- In a medium sized bowl combine 2 cups milk of choice with ¾ cup chia seeds. Stir well.
- Allow to sit 15 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes in the beginning to keep the seeds from sinking and clumping before they expand.