I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
AIP Birthday Cake will help to create your happy celebration! AND no one will know anyone is on a restricted diet. You’ll LOVE this well-textured cake and creamy whipped frosting.
Let’s celebrate that someone special with Paleo Vanilla Cake and Frosting! — all without eggs, dairy, gluten, nuts or seeds.
Nothing quite says, You’re special, as well as a layer cake with frosting …
Ingredients in AIP Birthday Cake
For the AIP diet, we omit gluten, grains, nuts, seeds, eggs and dairy. But, we still get to use some great ingredients!
For flour, this recipe uses cassava flour and a small amount of coconut flour. The other ingredients are:
- coconut sugar or maple sugar
- lard or coconut oil
- coconut milk or tiger nut milk
- collagen — I know some of you will ask me if this can be omitted. No, I don’t think so; it contributes to the right cake texture, (as well as adding non essential amino acids).
- vanilla extract
- apple cider vinegar
- baking soda and sea salt
Can this recipe be made coconut-free?
This recipe could be made coconut-free (for those of you who need that), if it wasn’t for one ingredient, coconut flour. … And I don’t know if it will work to sub it with something else like tiger nut flour.
… So, let us know in the Comments section below if you try it.
How to make AIP Birthday Cake
AIP Birthday Cake is a simple “quick bread” method recipe, that yields a tender cake crumb. The easy steps are:
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Mix together wet ingredients in small bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans.
- Bake, cool, frost, slice and ENJOY!
What frosting to use on AIP Birthday Cake
I recommend a few great options to frost AIP Birthday Cake:
- AIP Buttercream Frosting (This basic recipe uses cinnamon, but you may sub it for vanilla.)
- Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- AIP Chocolate Ganache Frosting
AIP Birthday Cake (Vanilla Cake with Frosting)
- 2 round cake pans: 8" each, or a bit smaller if preferred
- handheld mixer, or similar, is ideal, but not necessary
- parchment paper for lining cake pans
- 1-½ cups cassava flour Otto's or Bob's brands preferred and recommended
- 1 cup granulated unrefined sugar use maple sugar for a lighter-colored cake, or coconut sugar if you don't mind the cake being darker brown-hued. Use part organic evaporated cane juice if you want the lightest colored cake possible.
- ⅔ cup coconut oil or lard, melted and cooled slightly
- ⅔ cup coconut milk room temperature or warm (not chilled)
- ½ cup collagen <—see link (DISCOUNT code is BEAUTIFUL10 at check out) for the best pesticide-free 3rd party tested collagen
- 6 Tablespoons coconut flour
- ¼ cup filtered water
- 1 Tablespoon real vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons gelatin <—see link (DISCOUNT code is BEAUTIFUL10 at check out) for the best pesticide-free 3rd party tested gelatin
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda sifted
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease two 8" cake pans (or smaller, if preferred), then line with circles of parchment paper that cover the bottom of each pan. Set aside.
- In large bowl combine dry ingredients: cassava flour, unrefined sugar, collagen, coconut flour, gelatin, baking soda and sea salt.
- In medium bowl combine wet ingredients: fat of choice, coconut milk, water, vanilla and apple cider vinegar.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Use handheld beaters, and mix to combine.
- Pour and spread batter evenly between both cake pans.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. (Closer to 20 minutes yields a tender topped cake. Closer to 25 minutes creates a crispy edged and topped cake.) Set aside to cool completely while you make the frosting.
- Decorate with AIP Buttercream Frosting, AIP Strawberry Buttercream Frosting or AIP Chocolate Ganache Frosting. Chill for three hours or overnight before serving. (Leftovers keep in the fridge, well wrapped, for 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.)
You can Pin this AIP Birthday Cake here:
Similar AIP recipes you’ll love:
- AIP Chocolate Cake or Cupcakes
- Cinnamon Cupcakes with Strawberry “Buttercream” Frosting
- Pear Upside Down Cake with Easy Caramel Sauce
- AIP Pumpkin Cake
- Paleo Strawberry Muffins
- AIP Lemon Blueberry Coffeecake