I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
Keto & Paleo Chocolate “Oreo” Pie Crust is a versatile no-bake crust rich with cocoa-flavored cookie crumbs. Perfect for refrigerator and freezer pies. Also Low Carb, Vegan and Gluten-free.
Ingredients in Keto & Paleo Chocolate “Oreo” Pie Crust
Blanched almond flour is the main ingredient in this pie crust.
Additional ingredients are:
- butter or coconut oil
- cocoa powder — You have two choices when you make this crust: You can use regular, quality cocoa (here’s a good fair trade one). Or, if you want your crust extra dark, like an Oreo looks, you can buy organic black cacao (find it here). I plan to redo the photos of this recipe so you can see the fun, dark cocoa. But both are fine. Feel free to use what you have, or go hog wild with the black one.
- powdered sweetener — For Keto: powdered allulose, erythritol or xylitol; for Paleo: powdered coconut sugar (simply blend coconut sugar in coffee grinder or blender, see process photo here).
- instant coffee — This ingredient is optional, but it does help to create the Oreo flavor. (I use this decaf.)
- sea salt
How to make Keto & Paleo Chocolate “Oreo” Pie Crust
I love how easy no-bake pie crust recipes are. But this recipe has one step before you stir together all of the ingredients.
- It’s important to toast the almond flour in a dry skillet. Don’t skip this step because it really does contribute to the overall flavor of the crust, which otherwise is raw and just doesn’t taste as good, or have the perfect texture.
- Once toasted, transfer the almond flour to a bowl.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients.
- Stir in the coconut oil or butter.
- Press the crust into your pie plate.
- Chill in the refrigerator until you’re ready to fill.
Which fillings to use
Any no-bake filling that compliments chocolate will be wonderful in this pie crust.
- Try Vanilla Custard topped with fresh fruit for a Fruit Tart. Or top Custard with Chocolate Ganache for a Boston Cream Pie.
- Make Grasshopper Pie (pictured below) — This is a Paleo, Vegan, Keto peppermint pie that’s fun, vibrant and delicious.
- Fill with any no-bake cheesecake filling: Chocolate Chip, Egg Nog, Vegan Fermented Raspberry or Saffron-Vanilla.
- Do a fun spin on Strawberry Cream Pie, by using a chocolate crust.
- Make ice cream freezer pie (recipe coming!)
How to store leftovers of no-bake pie
Leftover pie is almost better than fresh pie! Pie keeps great in the fridge for several days.
Once filled, cover your pie well. Refrigerate for up to 4 days.
To freeze an empty pie shell, press waxed cloth or plastic wrap directly on the surface of the crust. Then place entire pie plate into a large plastic bag, and press out all of the air.
Chocolate “Oreo” Pie Crust keeps well in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Keto & Paleo Chocolate “Oreo” Pie Crust (Gluten-free, Vegan)
- pie plate
- mixing bowl
- 1-½ cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup butter melted and cooled slightly
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup powdered sweetener for Keto: powdered allulose, erythritol or xylitol; for Paleo: powdered coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee optional, powdered in a coffee grinder if you have one handy, or use a mortar and pestle, or just add it as-is
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Please don't skip this step, for the best flavor!: Place almond flour in medium-large size dry skillet. Toast over medium heat for about 4 minutes, until golden brown and toasted.
- Transfer to mixing bowl. Add remaining dry ingredients: cocoa powder, sweetener, optional instant coffee and sea salt. Stir to mix.
- Using a fork or handheld beaters, add butter and combine thoroughly.
- Press into 9" pie plate. Chill in the refrigerator before filling.