I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
With a real food Chocolate “Oreo” Pie Crust, Ice Cream Mud Pie is decadent and incredibly delicious! Layers of Chocolate and Coffee (or Vanilla) ice cream are topped with Easy Chocolate Ganache, optional nuts, sea salt and optional chocolate chips.
If you wish, garnish the whole thing with Pourable Chocolate Sauce and whipped cream.
This recipe can just as easily be made with or without dairy. It’s Paleo, Keto, AIP, Vegan and Gluten-free, as well as no-bake and egg-free.Jump to Recipe
I grew up eating Ice Cream Mud Pies for my birthday each year (my mom used to buy them from Baskin-Robbins!), so this was a fun recipe for me to make for my family.
My husband confidently said it was the best ice cream pie he’d ever had.
I’ve never heard my 17-year-old son say so many emphatic phrases in a few minutes: “Oh wow. Mmm, hmmm.” And I can’t remember all the others, but he kept going on and on, so I finally laughed with joy. I know you’ll love it too.
Ingredients in Ice Cream Mud Pie Recipe
If you want to take any shortcuts with this recipe, you can certainly buy Keto, Paleo or AIP ice cream from the store. A good brand for Keto is Rebel, and a good brand for Paleo and AIP is Coconut Bliss.
You could also cut down a little time by: buying one pint … and making one batch of homemade ice cream.
Overall, this recipe feels pretty restful and super low stress to make (I mean, it’s ice cream after all, right?), but it does have a few components:
- Delicious, chocolatey “Oreo” Pie Crust, or for AIP and nut-free, Tiger Nut Flour Pie Crust
- 2 ice cream flavors: choose from Chocolate, Vanilla or Coffee (I give links to all of these recipes below in the Recipe card.)
- Chocolate Ganache — I have both Keto, Paleo AND AIP versions of this recipe for you below.
- Optional Pourable Chocolate Sauce for garnishing the cut pie with drizzles.
- Whipped Cream — Dairy OR non-dairy
- Various additional optional toppings: chocolate/carob chips, flakey sea salt and roasted nuts (not AIP)
How to make Ice Cream Mud Pie Recipe
- Start by making the easy no-bake Chocolate “Oreo” Pie Crust. If you’re AIP, make the Tiger Nut Flour Pie Crust instead. (This one bakes.)
- Choose your ice cream flavors. The most traditional flavors for mud pies are:
- Coffee — To make coffee ice cream, just add 2 Tablespoons Organic Instant Coffee to the Vanilla Ice Cream recipe before freezing (delicious!!).
- and Vanilla. If you’re making both flavors from scratch, you’ll need to allow time for the ice cream freezing cylinder to chill between batches, depending on your ice cream maker … so start 2 days before you plan to serve.
- Make ice cream, and freeze each batch.
- To fill Crust, set the frozen ice cream in the fridge for 10 to 30 minutes so it’s nice and scoopable, without being too melty.
- Fill the Crust with layers of ice cream (described in more detail below in the Recipe).
- Make Chocolate Ganache. (Links to Keto/Paleo and AIP recipes in the Recipe card below.)
- Top Mud Pie with Ganache, and spread it out so it looks inviting.
- Garnish with optional: roasted nuts (not for AIP). I love hazelnuts best, but pecans are another good option, or whatever you like, even peanuts are fine for Keto. Also: mini chocolate chips or shaved chocolate (from a bar) and flakey sea salt. Whipped cream may be dusted with cocoa powder or some reserved crumbs from the crust.
- Add a drizzle of Pourable Chocolate Sauce for an additional garnish if you wish!
How to serve Ice Cream Mud Pie
Depending on the temperature of your freezer, allow a little time before serving to slice the pie.
Place Ice Cream Mud Pie in the fridge for up to 30 minutes before slicing. For warmer freezers, you may be able to just set the pie on the counter for 10 minutes, and then slice.
If you wish, drizzle chocolate sauce over individual pie slices and/or top with whipped cream when you serve.
How to store Ice Cream Mud Pie
I’ve started using fabric bowl covers to cover leftovers (find them here). These are much better than plastic wrap, and you can actually throw them in the washing machine on cold (line dry).
So … cover leftovers in pie plate, freeze, and enjoy pie within 5 to 7 days.
Ice Cream Mud Pie Recipe (Keto, Paleo, AIP, Vegan, Gluten-free)
- ice cream maker (or use store-bought ice cream)
- large skillet (for the "Oreo" Crust) or oven (for the AIP/nut-free crust)
- pie plate
- 1 Keto Paleo Chocolate "Oreo" Pie Crust OR for AIP/nut-free, Tiger Nut Flour Pie Crust here
- 2 to 3 cups Chocolate Ice Cream with carob option for AIP
- 2 to 3 cups Coffee Ice Cream see note on this in Instructions below, or Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 cup Keto & Paleo Chocolate Ganache or AIP version here
- ½ to ¾ cup roasted nuts omit for AIP (I like hazelnuts, pecans or walnuts best.)
- ⅓ to ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon flakey sea salt
- Keto Paleo Pourable Chocolate Sauce optional for drizzling as the final garnish (omit for AIP)
- sweet whipped cream or Whipped Coconut Cream
- a little cocoa powder for dusting the whipped cream
- If you're making both flavors from scratch, you'll need to allow time for the ice cream freezing cylinder to chill between batches (depending on your ice cream maker) ... so start 2 days before you plan to serve.
- Make ice cream, and freeze each batch. If you wish, with the crust made first, the fresh ice cream can be spread into the chilled shell as soon as it's done freezing. Return crust to the freezer until the second flavor of ice cream is ready. If you're using store bought, skip this process.
- To fill Crust with frozen ice cream, set ice cream in the fridge for 10 to 30 minutes so it's nice and scoopable, without being too melty.
- Fill the Pie Crust with layers: scoop 2 to 3 cups softened or freshly made ice cream into pie shell. Use an offset spatula or the back of a spoon to spread the flavor around evenly. I like to put Chocolate Ice Cream in first, on the bottom, then Coffee or Vanilla. After first layer is smoothed out, freeze for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight, if you're waiting on your second flavor to freeze. Then repeat with second flavor, filling and smoothing the top. (In the photos for this recipe, I used 2 cups Chocolate Ice Cream and 3 cups Coffee Ice Cream.)
- Top Mud Pie with Ganache, and spread it out so it looks inviting. It will firm up as you spread it on frozen ice cream, so work a little quickly.
- Garnish with optional: roasted nuts (not for AIP). I love hazelnuts best, but pecans are another good option, or whatever you like, even peanuts are fine for Keto. Also: chocolate chips and sea salt. Whipped cream (or Whipped Coconut Cream) may be dusted with cocoa powder or some reserved crumbs from the crust.
- Add a drizzle of Pourable Chocolate Sauce for an additional garnish if you wish.
Find similar creamy Gluten-free pie recipes here: