I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
Paleo Beef Short Ribs are the easiest best short rib recipe with NO braising ahead of time, no sautéing of any ingredients. Just 4 ingredients and 10 minutes of prep time, bake, flip once during the cooking, bake again, and serve!
You can thicken the gravy optionally. So tender, rich and flavorful, without any added steps!
Paleo Beef Short Ribs are also perfect for Keto, AIP, Whole30, Gluten-free, VAD, Low Oxalate and Low Salicylate diets. Unlike many recipes, this one is nightshade-free, wine-free and very allergy-friendly.
Jump to Recipe
Ingredients in Paleo Beef Short Ribs
Wow, only 4 ingredients in this recipe!:
- beef short ribs — Beef short ribs are simply the meaty ribs of beef. Very tender and flavorful meat, they’re usually cut so the short bones stick out from the meat after cooking. Easy to source and incredibly delicious.
- meat stock or bone broth — Use any good broth for this ingredient, but I don’t personally like the flavor of store bought broths, especially meat broths that are made with sweet vegetables like onions and carrots. I use homemade beef Meat Stock for this recipe. But if you have another broth you like the flavor of, that will be fine, too.
- coconut aminos OR real soy sauce — Choose the one that best fits your diet: For Paleo and AIP, choose coconut aminos. For Low Oxalate, Low Salicylate, choose real soy sauce.
- maple syrup, coconut sugar or low carb “brown sugar” — For Keto, choose the low carb option. For Low Oxalate, Low Salicylate, choose maple syrup.
When Paleo Beef Short Ribs are done cooking, you may wish to thicken the pan juices, to create a more gravy-like sauce. If so, use one additional ingredient: either xanthan gum for Keto, tapioca starch for Paleo, GF and AIP, OR use rice flour for Gluten-free, VAD and Low Oxalate, Low Salicylate.
How to make Paleo Beef Short Ribs
Most short ribs recipes emphasize the importance of braising the ribs first, to get the best seared flavor. Braising means a quick higher heat frying.
I have good news for you: I skip this step but end up with the same rich flavor and super moist fall apart meat!
No braising needed
First of all, beef short ribs do not need high maintenance steps, because if they’re cooked properly, they will be tender and flavorful no matter what.
They also do not need ingredients that conflict with a lot of wellness diets like tomatoes, red wine or garlic. (If you can have garlic and want to include it, great, but it’s not needed for a great dish.)
Secondly, I have included two ingredients that give the surface and edges of the meat the same caramelized flavor desired from braising, but with no braising: coconut aminos (or real soy sauce) and a small amount of brown rich sweetener.
As a result, this recipe takes just 10 minutes to prep, but turns out caramelized on the outside, and very tender on the inside!
Steps to make Easiest Paleo Beef Short Ribs:
- Place short ribs in Dutch oven or casserole dish with lid.
- Sprinkle with coconut aminos and sweetener of choice.
- Add broth to one side.
- Cover, and transfer to preheated oven.
- After 1.5 hours, use tongs or 2 forks to flip over each piece of meat.
- Return to oven, and bake 1 additional hour.
- Serve, or broil briefly first, then serve (directions for broiling option in Recipe below).
- If you wish, thicken the pan juices. Those directions are included in the Recipe below, based on diet.
What to serve with Easiest Paleo Beef Short Ribs
- For Paleo, AIP and Whole30, I like to make Mashed Parsnips. — I’ll publish a formal recipe for this soon, but just simmer peeled, chopped parsnips in water till very soft, strain, then add: solid fat of choice, a little broth and sea salt. Blend or mash. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve like mashed potatoes.
- For Keto, make Smashed Cauliflower, or serve over low carb noodles (cabbage or daikon).
- For Gluten-free, VAD, Low Oxalate and Low Salicylate — Make a family favorite of ours: Chickpea-Masa Polenta (pictured in all the served Short Ribs photos here).
Paleo Beef Short Ribs (Keto, AIP, Whole30)
- Dutch oven or large baking dish with oven-proof lid
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- If your short ribs are in long strips, cut them into shorter sections. Arrange in a Dutch oven, broad pot with lid, or large baking dish with lid).
- Drizzle measured coconut aminos over the surface of the meat. (About 20 shakes from a coconut aminos bottle.) Then drizzle maple syrup or sprinkle coconut sugar or granulated low carb brown sugar over meat's surface. Use your fingers if you wish, or the back of a spoon, to rub it into the meat's surface. Pour 2 cups broth to one side, into the base of the baking dish. Cover with lid.
- Place baking dish into preheated oven, and bake for 1.5 hours. Then, remove from oven, and use tongs to rotate, so the side that was facing up now faces down. Add final amount of broth if the former broth is evaporating too much, otherwise leave as-is (this depends on the kind of pan and lid used). Replace the lid, and return to oven a second time.
- Bake 1 additional hour, (2.5 hours total).
- The meat is now fully cooked. It is soft stew meat. If you want to serve it at this point, great. If you'd rather, broil it first to create a firmer edge, like a very tender steak with pan juices. To broil: use tongs to place all ribs on a large baking sheet. Set broiler to Low if you have 2 settings. Broil for no longer than 5 minutes; watch carefully so you don't burn the meat. Now, use tongs to return meat pieces to pan, coating half or all of each one in pan juices before serving. (If you choose to thicken the pan juices, do this while the meat broils.)
- Optional, to thicken pan juices: For Keto: Fan over the surface, and whisk in ½ teaspoon xanthan gum. For Paleo, AIP, Whole30: Whisk 1 Tablespoon tapioca starch into 2 Tablespoons room temp/cool broth or water. Bring cooking juices to a simmer. Whisk in tapioca slurry, and simmer 1 to 2 minutes until thickened. For all others: Whisk 1 Tablespoon white rice flour into pan juices. Bring cooking juices to a simmer while continuing to whisk. Simmer about 2 minutes until thickened. Serve Short Ribs with the pan juices.
Storage and leftovers
- Store leftover Beef Short Ribs in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in a 300 degree oven, with some pan juices for moisture, covered, for 20 minutes. (Cooked Beef Short Ribs may also be sealed and frozen for up to 3 months, and then defrosted before reheating.)