I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
How Nano-Particle Zeolite and Zinc Help Copper Toxicity explores the growing modern health concern of copper toxicity and provides a super helpful resource for its detoxification.
Copper toxicity itself is a volatile topic because some in the health community have begun recommending more supplementation of copper — while others disagree, citing its dangers.
My symptoms and experience point to copper overload …
For me, there’s too much information about copper toxic symptoms, as well as my own experience, to not agree with the concern.
In my long search to overcome my chemical sensitivities and help my kids with subtle chronic health issues, I am so thankful I found this piece of the puzzle. (Excess copper can accumulate in the liver. This impairs the liver’s capacity for detoxification, which can result in chemical sensitivities.)
Let’s look closely at copper toxicity itself, what made us copper toxic, symptoms and the easiest ways to usher excess out!
Symptoms of copper overload
- ADHD, sensitivity to tags, rough fabrics and cheap metals
- allergies (food dyes, shellfish…)
- Candida overgrowth
- chocolate cravings
- chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia
- endometriosis (and many more female-related symptoms that I list below)
- hair loss
- irritability, anxiety, depression (and many more mental health symptoms that I list below)
- learning disabilities
- male infertility
- poor immune function
- white spots on fingernails
Psychological symptoms of copper toxicity
Copper overload manifests in a variety of mental health challenges:
“Hyperactivity, academic underachievement, learning disabilities, ADHD, autism, emotional meltdowns and frequent anger, ringing in ears, high anxiety, depression, sleep problems, poor concentration and focus, low dopamine activity, and elevated activity of norepinephrine and adrenaline.” (source)
Copper is an essential and important part of how the immune system, endocrine system and nervous system work. If we think about how copper is used in electrical wiring, it’s because copper is excellent at conducting energy.
So what happens when the body has too much copper?: it revves up the system into a state of overdrive, like amphetamines:
When copper levels are high, more norepinephrine and epinephrine (adrenaline) are synthesized from dopamine, which can causes feelings of agitation, anxiety and panic, overstimulation, racing thoughts, restlessness, and insomnia. [sic]
This phenomenon can cause exhaustion of the HPA axis over time (formerly called adrenal exhaustion).
An interesting cycle herein begins for many people, including me: exhaustion and chocolate cravings lead to eating chocolate, which in turn worsens both exhaustion and copper toxicity.
Copper toxicity in women
Copper overload is especially common in women. Excess estrogen can cause copper retention and accumulation, which can then result in toxicity:
Hormonal events such as menarche, pregnancy or menopause can trigger it. These days when a patient tells me about a history of postpartum depression, severe PMS, dysmenorrhea or adverse effects related to the prescription of oral contraceptives, I immediately suspect copper overload. (source)
Copper promotes the formation of blood vessels and can predispose women to endometriosis and fibroid tumors.
Where does too much copper come from
Many of us ask ourselves, how did we become copper toxic? Here are the main sources:
- amalgam fillings
- copper pipes
- supplements, like multi-minerals
- eating foods high in copper: liver, leafy greens, chocolate, spirulina, wine and almonds (most of which I’ve eaten a lot of), plus a few others
- excess estrogen
- any use ever of oral contraceptives (i.e. “the pill”, which contains estrogen) or copper IUDs
- xenoestrogens (chemical or natural compounds that mimic estrogen, found in plastics and petrochemicals)
- phytoestrogens (disruptive estrogenic compounds found in plants)
- occupational exposure to heavy metals
- growth hormones found in food sources, like factory meat and conventional milk
- copper fungicides (used in gardening)
- vegan, vegetarian or processed food diets
- zinc deficiency from malabsorption related to compromised gut health
- passed in utero (This is how my son ended up with copper overload from birth.)
- poor liver or gallbladder function
Is everyone copper toxic
No, I am not suggesting that everyone begin the protocol I am doing. One approach that yields some insight is to have a blood test and a hair mineral analysis done, so you can see your levels, and respond accordingly.
The reason I have self-supplemented is: a gradual increase in zinc supplementation and the use of nano-particle zeolite are gentle ways of assessing and helping. My family’s and my symptoms are very textbook. So, it was easier (and less expensive) for me to increase zinc gradually (I discuss this more below) and observe my body’s response — and begin taking the spray slowly, again observing.
Secondly, I use nano-particle zeolite spray partially because it can reach deep into tissues where copper and heavy metals are stored. Even a blood test can not tell us the copper levels stored in scar tissue or muscles. This is also why it is important to give zeolite spray enough time to work.
And zeolite will not create an imbalance. So unlike zinc supplementation, it will detox copper if that’s what’s needed, even without testing.
You will likely be inclined toward one or the other approach. As always, I do not pretend to be a doctor. You must decide what’s best for your body.
No matter what, begin any protocol slowly.
How zinc helps to balance copper levels
An inverse relationship exists between zinc and copper. Often when copper levels are high, zinc levels are low. Zinc is a mineral essential for cellular function, wound healing, regulation of the immune system and synthesis of neurotransmitters. Zinc is a key player in the treatment of copper overload.
But, this must be done slowly and carefully, because zinc mobilizes copper stores.
A person may feel an increase in copper toxic symptoms initially if zinc is used too quickly. Molybdenum, potassium, magnesium, sodium, selenium and other supplements may also be used, for some patients. And this is why seeing a practitioner who does testing is the safest and best way to proceed. Other minerals likely also need to be balanced.
For now (I plan to do a hair mineral analysis and blood work eventually), what I’ve found to be the gentlest and easiest method for detoxing excess copper is 2-part:
- to take zinc at separate times in the day, in small doses (this one). (For me, that’s 15 mg in the morning, at lunch, and at night with my nightly magnesium. I first started with morning only, then added a second dose at night. Each time, I observed the benefits for at least one month before adding an additional dose. The first and most noticeable benefit I got was better sleep. My nightly dose of zinc has been amazing for my sleep quality.)
- I take a nano-particle zeolite spray that safely ushers copper from the body.
To clarify, I do not suggest you take the amount of zinc I’m taking. Some patients will need less zinc than I’m taking, and some will likely need more. In fact, each of us needs testing to know the right dosage.
How Nano-Particle Zeolite Helps Copper Toxicity
Nano-particle zeolite is a spray that I started taking about a year ago after reading about it in a support group for GAPS diet moms who have autistic children who can’t speak.
While I don’t have an autistic child, I am part of several forums just for the purpose of my own learning.
So many moms had seen their children regain or gain speech using this particular formulation of zeolite spray that I looked into it further.
I started taking it myself, and give it to all my kids and husband, because the benefits are varied and rare to access, based on the body’s burdens and needs.
Most importantly, the spray, which is called TRS, crosses the blood-brain barrier. So it can detox plastics, estrogens and metals from the brain. (Sign me up!, is what I thought.) With testimonies like the ones I read, I was very excited to try it on myself.
How does TRS work
Zeolite and copper specifically
When we focus on detoxing one specific toxin, like too much copper, we do not have control over where the body has stored it or how soon TRS will access it.
We do know that nano-particle zeolite has six hours to permeate tissues each time it enters and exits the body. Once its structures are full of toxins, they’ll exit, cleaning out those dangers and protecting the body from them.
I appreciate that TRS is removing many different kinds of toxins from my body, copper included. I just don’t know in what order, which is fine.
Why TRS brand
When it comes to zeolite, TRS is the only one that is lab grown, and that is a good thing. This is important because zeolites detox everything around them. All other brands of zeolite come already pre-filled to some extent with the gunk around them in nature. All “natural” zeolites are contaminated with whatever they were next to in nature. For example: Were they mined near an arsenic deposit? Or near a radioactive waste site?
TRS is STERILE, totally clean and non-contaminated.
One other point also plays in: Because TRS is lab grown, the company can control how large the zeolites grow. This is important because the smaller the zeolite, the more effective it is.
From what I’ve read, the zeolites from other brands top out at an average of 300 microns in size. TRS zeolites top out at 90 nanometers.
TRS also ends up costing less than other brands because it takes fewer sprays to get better results.
My initial results with nano-particle zeolite spray
One of my first benefits from TRS was similar to beginning to take zinc at night: better sleep. I also had:
- major gradual estrogen detox and benefits. For years I’ve struggled with excess estrogen. After several months on TRS, I was able to go off of Calcium d-Glucarate (which isn’t ideal to take because it’s a calcium supplement which means it can throw off vitamin D and potassium levels). I now, amazingly, have no more symptoms associated with high estrogen levels.
- gentle sensations of detox in my head. (These are hard to describe in this brief space, but I am very sensitive, so I feel things I think most people don’t.) I had tingling in parts of my brain where I used to get icepick headaches in high school, right before all of my autoimmune diseases started. (I was amazed and so excited by these sensations. Amazing that TRS went back to old areas of injury in my brain and detoxed whatever was there and triggering health problems.)
- benefits related to my chemical sensitivity and overall sense of wellness. I can even use it acutely, which I LOVE. For example, if I’m exposed to smoke, perfumes or any fragrances that upset me, I can spray TRS in my mouth and immediately feel relief. It detoxes quickly and over the course of 6 hours each time it’s used. As it turns out, chemical sensitivity is closely linked to copper toxicity!, which I didn’t know when I first started the product.
- helps if my eyes feel cloudy. You can either put a drop in your tear duct area with your finger and then blink, or I spray it directly in my eyes.
- on burns and sunburns
- bug bite itching or stings
Other forum testimonies of the product include conceiving after infertility issues. This is a common outcome of using the product, actually!; because it balances hormones and detoxes excess estrogen.
How to use TRS
I use it morning and night. I spray 2 times in my mouth each morning and 3 times each night.
It can also be used topically, for any acute issues. This is one supplement you can see/feel work immediately.
Do start slowly.
I buy the three-pack to save money, and the company recommends doing the spray for 6 months minimum to see various effects from the beginning and then as you continue. It does need to be purchased through a distributor, so I became one. Here’s my distributor link. After clicking through, you need to click the Shop Now button to proceed.
The product is called Advanced TRS (I buy the 3-pack in glass bottles).
The company recommends: Start the first day with 1 spray, then increase each day, assuming no major detox symptoms, gradually by 1 spray each day until you reach 5 sprays daily, 2 in the morning, 3 at night.
As mentioned, in addition to detoxing heavy metals: spray directly on any canker sores, rashes, in the eyes, provide immediate relief on burns, etc.
Find TRS Nano-Particle Zeolite spray here. (You save money if you put yourself on autoship.)
Other considerations when detoxing excess copper
- Be regular with bowel movements. Toxins need to exit the body daily. Try SunFiber, or read this article, and look for the information on supplementing with minerals (especially Magnesium and Potassium Chloride).
- Support gut health for proper assimilation of nutrients. Also consider supplementation with vitamin B1.
- Reduce stress. Stress exhausts our HPA axis. The adrenals help the liver produce a protein (ceruloplasmin) which helps with copper transport. Copper that can’t be used or transported out of the body is stored in the liver and brain. This affects mental health and the liver’s ability to detox all heavy metals, including copper. (source)
- Be patient. While zinc, other minerals and nano-particle zeolite all help to detox excess copper, the process is slow and steady. It will likely take my body a couple of years, but the progress is still encouraging.
- Consider a low vitamin A diet which I believe is the best overall assistance a body can have from a dietary standpoint to recovering from other toxicities.
You can Pin this article here:
Other related articles
- Best and Worst Foods for Anxiety and Depression
- How I Reversed My Hashimoto’s
- How to Use Neurofeedback for Anxiety
- Why to NOT Eat Organ Meats
- My Exact Diet and Supplements for Vitamin A Detox