I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
Everyone is entitled to eat biscuits. When the biscuits are healthy, so much the better. Made with Otto’s Cassava Flour, these comfort-food-beauties offer great complex carbs and resistant starch; and the recipe also contains some brain-boosting amino acids — a bit of protein to ground blood sugar levels. Great alongside any meal, if you’re AIP you’ll be so happy to have biscuits with your meals again! Yes, these bread-treasures are egg-free, nut-free and dairy-free, yet great for any Paleo appreciating diet.
If you’re not already familiar with resistant starch, it’s a starch in cassava flour that resists being digested. The benefit of this kind of starch, called RS3 and activated during Otto’s careful oven-drying process, is improved colon health and immune boosting. RS3 is a prebiotic food eaten by the probiotics in the colon. The probiotics then produce a short-chain fatty acid called butyrate. Butyrate feeds T cells which in turn increase in number and vibrancy. T cells are key players in our immune system and help with preventing and healing from autoimmune conditions!
If you didn’t already know, Otto’s cassava flour is true health food (in disguise as white flour!). So it’s no coincidence that it’s “legal” or “allowed” on healing diets like AIP. This RS3-rich food is also a great complex carb, helping to provide energy to the body and protect the thyroid.
I’ve also added collagen to this recipe, because it’s great to get some added protein with a big dose of carbs; and collagen contributes tenderness to the biscuit’s center.
How to Serve
Enjoy your biscuits with jam. Enjoy them with honey-ham. Enjoy them alongside soup. You can’t go wrong. Or find them here as a casserole topping; yes, you can use them to make pot pies and cobblers, either sweet or savory!
Key is: Enjoy them! xo
- 1-1/2 cups cassava flour measure by spooning flour into measuring cup, then sliding extra off the top with the back of a knife; use Otto's brand, see link in Recipe Notes
- 1 cup water cold
- 1/2 cup solid fat cold or cold room temperature: lard or palm shortening (not Spectrum, see link below in Recipe Notes)
- 1/4 cup collagen see link and discount code in Recipe Notes
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar or sauerkraut juice (if no-fruit diet)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- If baking biscuits by themselves (not on top of a casserole): Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside. (If using biscuits to top a casserole, follow casserole instructions for baking details.)
- Combine water and apple cider vinegar in small dish. Set aside.
- In large bowl whisk together dry ingredients: cassava flour, collagen, sea salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- Cut fat into flour using food processor, (or 2 knives). Pulse to combine until largest fat pieces are pea-size.
- Pour water and ACV into flour mixture, and stir to just combine. Do not over-mix. (I use no more than 15 strokes with my rubber spatula.)
- Dump dough out onto parchment lined cookie sheet. Form into a 2 inch thick rough square. Do not pat it down. (For casserole, dumping out dough is optional; a cookie scoop can also be used. See next step for details.)
- Using a sharp knife, cut straight down into dough. Dip knife in flour after each cut, until you have all biscuits cut. Spread out biscuits just slightly from each other, so they have room to cook and expand slightly. (For casserole, use either cut biscuits, or use large cookie scoop to portion dough. Spread separate biscuits evenly out over casserole surface. Follow baking instructions from casserole recipe.)
- Bake in preheated oven 25-30 minutes, until puffed, golden and cooked through.
- Enjoy! Split open and top with either sweets or savories!
Buy only Otto's Cassava Flour for the best results. (Find it here.)
Find solid palm shortening here, perfect for making biscuits.
Find the best collagen here. Perfect Supplements is sustainable, grass-fed and tests for pesticide residue! Enter code BEAUTIFUL10 at checkout for 10% off your entire order! 🙂