I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
Paleo Apple Clafouti is the most perfectly textured cake, generously speckled with diced apples — perfect each fall and winter. Whether you’re going for elegance or simplicity, this cake checks both those boxes.
Extra nutritious and gentle, as well as delicious, Paleo Apple Clafouti is nut-free, egg-free and high in protein.
But you’d never know it! This treat is sooo lovely! Enjoy it with a cup of tea at breakfast or in the afternoon, or as the French do it — after dinner.
Jump to Recipe
What is clafouti
Clafouti are simple cakes eaten in France that use local in-season fruit, often cherries, but also larger stone fruits and apples. The cake texture is in no way dry, but it has a really nice crumb that’s also not intentionally wet, so it goes great against cooked fruit.
I lived in France for a month when I was 16, and the family I lived with served homemade cherry clafouti almost every single night after dinner, with their cheese course. Funny thing, the cook (and many French cooks) left the cherry pits in! That young American girl was very surprised to find stones in her mouth that she had to gingerly chew around before spitting them out — lol.
Ingredients in Paleo Apple Clafouti
I can tell you from years of recipe development that this recipe will not take well to substitutions. Paleo Apple Clafouti took a long time to get perfect, so use the ingredients the recipe calls for, for success!
- cassava flour — use only Otto’s or Bob’s brands for success (the other brands are too starchy)
- coconut sugar — or use maple sugar or cane sugar if you want the cake to turn out paler in color
- tiger nut flour
- avocado oil or olive oil
- coconut milk or other preferred milk
- coconut flour
- apple cider vinegar
- baking soda and sea salt
And diced apples! I use one whole cup.
How to make Paleo Apple Clafouti
Here’s the simple quick bread process:
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients and stir to mix. I use an electric handheld mixer on medium speed. When the mixture is almost completely mixed, add the diced apples, and mix again briefly.
- Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl with a spatula, and scrape/scoop batter into prepared baking dish. The batter is thick.
- Bake 25 minutes, until browned all over and slightly puffed around all the apple pieces. Fully cool on rack, then slice and serve.
How to store leftovers
Feel free to cover and leave out at room temp the first day after making Paleo Apple Clafouti.
Otherwise, seal and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Freeze, well sealed, for up to 3 months.
Paleo Apple Clafouti (AIP, Gluten-free)
- pie dish or 8" cake pan/baking pan
- medium size mixing bowl
- handheld electric beaters or other mixer
- ½ cup cassava flour : use only Otto's or Bob's brands for success; the other brands are too starchy - Use the ingredient link for 15% off Otto's.
- ½ cup coconut sugar or use maple sugar or cane sugar if you want the cake to turn out paler in color
- ¼ cup + 3 Tablespoons tiger nut flour
- ⅓ cup avocado oil or olive oil
- ⅓ cup coconut milk room temperature or warm (not chilled), or preferred milk
- ¼ cup collagen <-- see link and DISCOUNT code (Use code BEAUTIFUL10 at check out.)
- 3 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 3 Tablespoons filtered water
- 1 Tablespoon gelatin <-- see link and DISCOUNT code (Use code BEAUTIFUL10 at check out.)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda sifted
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup apples , peeled and diced to measure
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease baking dish, and set aside. (I use coconut oil.)
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients: cassava flour, granulated sweetener, tiger nut flour, collagen, coconut flour, gelatin, cinnamon, baking soda and sea salt.
- Add liquid ingredients: oil, milk, water, and apple cider vinegar, and stir to mix. I use an electric handheld mixer on medium speed. When the mixture is almost completely mixed, add the diced apples, and mix briefly to incorporate.
- Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl with a spatula, and scrape/scoop batter into prepared baking dish. (Batter will be thick.) Use lightly wetted finger tips or wetted offset spatula to smooth top surface before baking.
- Bake 25 minutes, until browned all over and slightly puffed around all the apple pieces.
- Fully cool on rack, then slice and serve.
You can Pin Paleo Apple Clafouti here:
More similar recipes
- Apple Galette (Paleo, AIP, GF)
- The Best Paleo Pumpkin Pancakes
- Best AIP Pancakes
- Paleo AIP Caramel Apple Pie
- Carob Apple Brownies (Paleo, AIP)
- Apple Cider Sherbet (Paleo, AIP)