I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
Paleo Apple Galette is just like apple pie, but easier to make and more rustic. You’ll love the crispy flaky pastry plus the ease and fun of making this simple, beautiful dessert.
Unlike pie which is baked inside a pie plate with raised edges, galettes are baked flat on a pan, and their edges are folded over. Serve wedges of galette as you would pie: simple and unadorned, or, with whipped cream or ice cream.
Make this lovely treat any day of the week to enjoy an old-fashioned favorite, or make Paleo Apple Galette for a special gathering or holiday.
Paleo Apple Galette is also Gluten-free, AIP, Vegan (and VAD for those who can eat cassava flour, or if you have another dough recipe that works well for you).
Jump to Recipe
Ingredients in Paleo Apple Galette
This recipe uses:
- Paleo Pie Crust dough, which also has a great AIP & Vegan variation (see the Notes section of the recipe)
- 4 to 5 cups of peeled sliced apples
- maple syrup, to sweeten — or similar, such as agave
- tapioca flour
- cinnamon and optional sea salt — For VAD, use ginger in place of cinnamon if you wish.
How to make Paleo Apple Galette
After making the pie dough:
- Roll out dough between two layers of parchment paper. Transfer to a large baking sheet (like this), and remove top piece of parchment.
- Fill mixing bowl with sliced apples, maple syrup, tapioca flour, a bit of water (designated in the recipe), cinnamon and optional sea salt. Stir well to mix. (This mixture becomes the apple filling, with a mildly sweet, thick and juicy sauce surrounding the apples.)
- Spoon filling onto pie dough (excluding the sauce, for the most part). Fold over edges. Sprinkle and press granulated sweetener (maple sugar, coconut sugar or cane sugar) over pastry edges.
- Right before baking, pour the juices from the bowl over the fruit filling.
- Bake about 35 minutes.
How to keep leftover galette
For the first night, it’s fine to leave galette at room temp, covered and sealed.
For any following days, or immediately, store galette sealed in the fridge. Leftovers are great cold, straight from the ice box. Or warm gently in low temperature oven.
You may certainly freeze galette if you wish, as well. The pastry will not be quite as good once defrosted, but it will work okay.
Paleo Apple Galette (Gluten-free, AIP, Vegan)
- Paleo Pie Crust dough which also has the great AIP & Vegan variation (see the Notes section of the recipe)
- 4 to 5 cups apple slices peeled
- ¼ cup maple syrup to sweeten -- or similar, such as agave
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 4 teaspoons tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoons granulated sweetener : maple sugar, coconut sugar or cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon For VAD: use ginger in place of cinnamon if you wish.
- optional sea salt 1 to 3 pinches
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- After making the pie dough: Roll out dough between two layers of parchment paper. Transfer to baking sheet, and remove top piece of parchment.
- Fill mixing bowl with sliced apples, maple syrup, tapioca flour, water, cinnamon and optional sea salt. Stir well to mix. (This mixture becomes the apple filling, with a mildly sweet, thick and juicy sauce surrounding the apples.)
- Spoon filling onto pie dough (excluding juices from the bowl), leaving a border of about 2". Fold over edges. Sprinkle and press granulated sweetener over pastry edges. Give an optional sprinkle of cinnamon on the edges as well.Right before baking in preheated oven, pour juices from the bowl over fruit filling.
- Bake about 35 minutes. Cool slightly or completely, cut and serve in wedges. (If the apples appear dry after baking, that's fine and delicious [because the thick juices and "goo" are underneath]. But if you want them to look more syrupy, drizzle a very small amount of maple syrup or agave over key pieces, and use one finger to kind of paint the tops of certain apple pieces. I did this for the photos, but it's not necessary.)
- Serve with optional whipped cream or ice cream.
You can Pin this recipe here:
Similar Paleo, AIP, Gluten-free recipes
- Paleo Galette: Master Recipe (Any fruit!)
- Caramel Apple Pie
- Pear Upside Down Cake
- Strawberry Coconut Lime Cream Pie
- Blackberry Lemon Cream Pie
You may also enjoy this savory Zucchini Galette.