I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
This recipe makes a big batch of Instant Pot No-Tomato Sauce (a.k.a. “Nomato”), so you will have it on hand when you need it! I like to use some right away, and freeze some for next time. Do you know No-Tomato Sauce? It’s that gorgeous and crazy-delicious, tangy-sweet-savory “tomato sauce” without the tomatoes! Yes, it’s nightshade-free! That means … if you get symptoms of inflammation from eating tomatoes, you will now have a sauce to call your own. AIP, Paleo & GAPS-diet friendly.
Ingredients in Instant Pot NO-Tomato Sauce
The ingredients in this recipe are SO healthful and provide great fiber. Don’t you love that? — when a recipe that’s delicious is also health-giving?! This one is: Full of fresh ginger, tangy citrus, ever-good garlic and nutrient-dense herbs, you’ll be amazed how all of these ingredients come together — with beets, carrots and onions — to taste remarkably like the real thing, and possibly better.
Instant Pot No-Tomato Sauce is for my own use, as well as yours. I make it in my Instant Pot because it’s SO easy. (Find the Instant Pot here.) I simply put the veggies in … unpeeled! And when they’re done, after a short cooking time, the peel rubs right off of the beets. The onions’ skins just fall off. There’s almost no work or prep in this recipe.
Paleo, AIP, GAPS Instant Pot NO-Tomato Sauce
Whichever of these healing diets you’re on, Instant Pot No-Tomato Sauce is for you!
AIP, (the Autoimmune Protocol diet), always excludes nightshades, and helps many to find relief as a result.
While tomatoes are allowed on the GAPS Diet, I (and many others) found healing from arthritic symptoms when I eliminated tomatoes.
Paleo, same thing: We’ve got to eliminate the foods that prevent our bodies from healing. If you’ve experimented, observed — and found — that tomatoes cause you aches and pains, here’s a sauce that triumphantly takes the place of an old favorite.
If you can’t have lemon or lime juice, I also offer a fruit/citrus-free alternative in the recipe below.
Use the sauce …
Use the sauce! 🙂 Instant Pot No-Tomato Sauce can be used anywhere and everywhere you’d use tomato sauce, and I even like it cold — because it’s so zesty and good! Top zoodles, make a casserole, use it in soup, top pizza dough … Make this big batch, and freeze some for next time.
Need the stovetop directions for No-Tomato Sauce instead? Find them here.
Instant Pot No-Tomato Sauce (AIP, Paleo, GAPS, nightshade-free)
- Instant Pot
- 8 medium-size carrots , unpeeled
- 2 small-medium-size beets , unpeeled
- 2 small-medium-size onions , unpeeled
- 1-1/3 cups bone broth
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons lime or lemon juice (or 1-2 drops lemongrass essential oil, if you are fruit-free or can't have citrus fruits, not for AIP)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh ginger root grated, then measured
- 4 cloves garlic smashed or minced
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Place carrots, beets and onions into Instant Pot insert. Add bone broth.
- Check that rubber ring is fitted inside Instant Pot lid. Place the lid on the Instant Pot, making sure the steam release valve is sealed. Press the “Manual” setting, and decrease the time until you reach 15 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot is done and beeps, press “Cancel.” Allow Instant Pot to release pressure naturally for 30 minutes. Place a dish towel over steam valve (or use oven mitt), and open it to release any remaining pressure. Remove lid and insert, so the pot's contents begin to cool.
- Using tongs, remove veggies to large plate to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, run beets under cool water, gently removing peel by rubbing it off. Slide skins off onions, composting/discarding peel.
- Cut beets and onions in half, or allow onions to fall apart in layers. Place all veggies in blender.
- Add warm broth, garlic, ginger, lime juice (or lemongrass), dried herbs and sea salt. Puree 30 seconds on medium-high speed. Stop part way through and scrape down the sides of blender jar, if needed. Then resume pureeing until smooth.
- The sauce is now ready to be used in any recipe!
Find my favorite lemongrass essential oil here.
Do you love your Instant Pot? Here’s the one I have.