I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
Mexican-Chicken Salad Stuffed Peppers are an easy and delicious dinner. With a short prep time, this colorful, flavorful meal is sure to please. This recipe is Keto, Low Carb, Primal, Gluten-free and even GAPS diet friendly.
You may also serve Mexican Peppers as a side dish, buffet offering or fun, colorful appetizer!
Whether you grow your own peppers or enjoy these staples year round, stuffed peppers … filled with Mexican chicken and topped with melted cheese … make a low carb memorable dinner — sure to be on repeat.
What are Mexican-Chicken Salad Stuffed Peppers
Keto Stuffed Peppers are cut-in-half and roasted bell peppers. They’re then stuffed with a Mexican chicken salad … topped with cheese … and baked!
These savory treats are eye candy as well as being delicious. Place a platter of Stuffed Peppers at a buffet table, or give each person two for a main course.
Cut each half in half again, before adding the filling, cheese and baking, to make appetizer boats.
Which color peppers to choose? I like stuffed red bell peppers best. It would be beautiful to use red, orange and yellow, or any combination of two.
Even though green bell peppers are generally less-preferred, when roasted, they’re actually a lot more like poblano peppers. So I say, even stuffed roasted green bell peppers will be delicious.
How to make Easy Mexican-Chicken Salad Stuffed Peppers
Cut the bell peppers in half and scoop out the seeds from each side. Place the peppers on a baking sheet.
Brush the insides of the peppers with avocado or olive oil.
Roast the peppers in the oven for about 15 minutes. They’ll be slightly softened, and the edges will be tinged.
While the peppers roast, assemble the chicken salad.
When peppers are done, use a towel to blot any liquid from the inside.
Stuff peppers with heaping scoops of chicken salad. Top generously with grated cheese.
Bake peppers for about 15 minutes, until cheese is fully melted and bubbly and chicken salad is hot in the center.
What to serve with Mexican-Chicken Salad Stuffed Peppers
I like to serve Mexican Stuffed Peppers with other Mexican favorites:
- Keto stuffed peppers with cauliflower rice on the side is easy and delicious. I recommend freshly chopped cilantro stirred into the rice. For gluten-free, you may also use white rice.
- If you’re Keto or Gluten-free and like to get some fiber from beans, add black or pinto beans to your cauliflower or white rice.
- Garnish with lime wedges.
- Avocado Pico de Gallo or fresh avocado slices are perfect and so pretty with red peppers.
- Offer fresh cucumbers, radishes or a green salad.
How to store and reheat leftover peppers
To store, simply cover keto stuffed bell peppers, and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Melted cheese isn’t quite the same when reheated. But leftover Mexican-Chicken Stuffed Peppers are still really enjoyable for next-day lunches or casual easy dinners.
To reheat, preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place peppers on oven-proof dish, and heat for about 20 minutes, until hot through to the center.
Are Keto Mexican Stuffed Peppers low carb?
Yes! Each stuffed half pepper has 3 grams net carbs. So if you eat 2 of them, 6 net carbs total.
Or you may eat just one low carb pepper with some other low carb sides.
Mexican-Chicken Salad Stuffed Peppers (Keto, Primal, Gluten-free, GAPS)
- baking sheet
- 4 whole bell peppers preferably red, halved with seeds and membranes removed
- 3 cups chicken cooked and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese grated
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ bunch cilantro chopped finely
- 2 scallions thinly sliced, (whites not used for Keto, Low Carb or Low-FODMAP: Instead use 4 onions' greens.)
- 1-½ Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil (for brushing the insides of the peppers before roasting)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chili pepper
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the bell peppers in half and scoop out the seeds from each side. Place the peppers on the baking sheet.
- Brush the insides of the peppers with avocado or olive oil.
- Roast the peppers in the oven for about 15 minutes, until softened and the edges are tinged.
- While the peppers roast, assemble the chicken salad. In a mixing bowl, combine chicken, sour cream, half the cilantro, green onions, lime juice, cumin, sea salt, chili pepper and black pepper.
- When peppers are done roasting, use a towel to blot any liquid from the insides.
- Stuff pepper openings with heaping scoops of chicken salad, about 3 ounces inside each cavity, depending on the size of the pepper halves.
- Top generously with grated cheese.
- Bake peppers for about 15 minutes, until cheese is fully melted and bubbly and chicken salad is hot through to the center. Serve, garnished with remaining fresh cilantro.
More easy Keto dinner recipes
- Easy Instant Pot or Crock Pot Enchilada Casserole
- Keto Chile Relleno Casserole
- Zucchini Chorizo Butter Stew
Reader Favorite Recipes
Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one: