I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
Keto Mexican Pan Pizza is a SUPER delicious dinner that’s easy to assemble and fun to eat! You’ll love the Cheddar Cornbread Crust and serving it to family, friends — or having more leftovers for yourself!
Primal, Low Carb and Gluten-free, this recipe is also great for the GAPS diet.
Ingredients in Mexican Pan Pizza
Two components create pizza: the crust and the toppings!
Cheddar Cornbread Crust does not taste like “normal” pizza crust. It is truly a lovely gluten-free, grain-free, low carb cornbread! It tastes amazing under pizza toppings, tender, a little sweet and great with cheese and spicy toppings!
Keto Mexican Pan Pizza’s crust is made with:
- blanched almond flour
- cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- a little sweetener
- baking soda and sea salt
Cheddar Cornbread Crust is a one-bowl batter (not a thick dough) — super fast and easy to mix together.
The pizza toppings are delectably-Mexican!:
- Salsa stirred together with tomato paste creates spiked delicious Mexican Pizza Sauce that’s also fast and easy to make!
- Cups of cheddar cheese come next, instead of the mozzarella usually used for Italian pizza.
- Meats: I’ve used both bulk chorizo sausage and pepperoni in this recipe. Both are mildly spicy, traditional for pizza and fabulous for the Mexican flavors.
- Sliced olives, optional jalapeños and optional cilantro finish off the toppings.
I thought the jalapeños might be too spicy for my family, but they wished I’d added more and loved them! Slicing them thinly works great to give all the flavor without too much spiciness.
What to serve with Mexican Pan Pizza
The pizza needs nothing else. But, if you want to garnish it or your plate with sour cream, avocado or guacamole, you certainly may. You could also drizzle Mexican Pan Pizza with a Cilantro Crema if you want to get fancy.
To make Cilantro Crema, blend together:
- 1-1/4 cups sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime juice + the zest of 1/2 a lime
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon each: garlic powder and sea salt
Cilantro Crema would also be lovely to dip or pour over lettuces, cucumbers and radishes, as a side dish salad — other low carb Mexican veggies you might like with your pizza!
And, you may wish to garnish your pizza with hot sauce.
How to make Mexican Pan Pizza
To make the Cheddar Cornbread Crust:
- Assemble the dry ingredients in a medium size bowl. Add the wet ingredients and stir well.
- Grease a quarter-size baking sheet, or 9″ x 13″ casserole dish. Spread Crust batter into the dish, and bake for 10 minutes. Pro tip: If you don’t yet have a Quarter Size Sheet Pan, they’re wonderful to have for so many uses! (I have this one.) Highly recommended for sheet pan dinners, roasted veggies, pizzas, coffeecakes, bars, buns/rolls, dehydrating and more.
- Remove from the oven. Slather with Salsa-Pizza Sauce. Top with cheese and other toppings.
- Return to the oven for 15 minutes, until cheese is all bubbly.
Allow your fresh, hot pizza to cool for about 5 minutes so the Cornbread Crust sets a bit after baking. And serve!
How to store and reheat leftovers
Store leftover Mexican Pizza in the fridge for up to 4 days, in a sealed container.
To reheat, warm in a preheated 325 degree oven for 15 minutes.
Keto Mexican Pan Pizza with Cheddar Cornbread Crust
Cheddar Cornbread Crust
- 1-½ cups almond flour blanched
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons keto granulated sweetener (or Paleo sweetener if not low carb, such as coconut sugar; for GAPS, use honey and add it with the wet ingredients)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
Keto Mexican Pizza Toppings
- 2 cups cheddar cheese 7 to 8 ounces, grated
- ½ pound chorizo bulk seasoned pork sausage, broken up and cooked in a pan
- ½ cup pepperoni slices
- ½ cup black olives sliced
- ½ cup red salsa like store-bought pico de gallo or similar
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 jalapeño sliced (optional)
- fresh cilantro, sour cream, Cilantro Crema (see post for recipe) and avocado to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease a 1/4-size sheet pan (or a 9x13" casserole dish may work fine). Set aside.
- Make Crust: In a medium bowl, mix together almond flour, sweetener, baking soda and sea salt. Add eggs, cheese, sour cream and melted butter. Stir together well.
- Cheddar Cornbread Crust is a batter, not a dough, so it's easy to pour it right into your prepared pan. Spread batter out to cover the full surface of the pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- While crust pre-bakes, stir together salsa and tomato paste in small bowl.
- After the 10 minutes, remove crust from oven. Spread Salsa-Pizza Sauce over the surface. Top with cheese. Top with chorizo, sliced olives, pepperoni slices and optional jalapeño slices.
- Return pizza to oven, and bake an additional 15 minutes, until cheese is bubbly all over.
- Remove from oven, allow to rest for 5 minutes, cut into 6 or 8 equal pieces, and serve. May be garnished with fresh cilantro, sour cream, Cilantro Crema or avocado.
You may also enjoy these reader favorites:
- Keto Chile Relleno Casserole (also Primal, GF, GAPS)
- Pizza Bake Casserole (Keto, Primal, GF, GAPS)
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Soup (Keto, Primal)
Hello. This recipe surprised me. I’d expected cornbread crust would be made with cornmeal, (also gluten free) not almond flour. Or possibly a blend, but figured cornbread anything has cornmeal in it too, no? Anyway, I’d like to try making this, looks yummy.
Hi PJ, so … I could have put the word “Cornbread” in quotes, and perhaps that would have prevented any confusion. This low carb bread/crust tastes like cornbread, but is grain-free! 🙂 By having the title contain both the words “Keto” and “Cornbread”, many readers will know that’s what I mean. But I’m sorry it wasn’t completely clear! 🙂 I hope you do indeed make and enjoy the recipe!
This pizza is SO DELICIOUS! The crust, sauce and all of the yummy toppings and spices are so good!
Great, ChihYu, thanks so much for commenting, and I’m so happy you love the recipe!!
Love how cheesy this pan pizza is!!
Me too, Tina, thanks!
Shelby Stover says
Is there anything almond flour CAN’T do?! I need a pizza night!
It’s a good convenient flour, yes. 🙂 As long as it’s organic. 😉
Being in Canada, this Mexican flavoured pizza is not at all what we are familiar with. But all sounds amazing the way you put together. Besides, keto is a bonus. I would love to make this!
Love that this is in a big pan! Perfect for get-togethers (when we can do those again).
Oh heck yes. This sounds so good! Perfect for parties.
THIS is soooo amazing, I am drooling and have pinned to make later this week! I suspect you will be the family hero!
Haha, thanks Jennifer! Hope you guys all love it!