I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
Keto Shortbread Pie Crust goes great with any no-bake pie filling, such as my Strawberry Cream Pie. You’ll LOVE this classic buttery cookie crust, and how easy and fast it is to assemble. Here’s a great go-to recipe for holidays and special occasions. Also Paleo, Low Carb and egg-free!
Jump to Recipe
Ingredients in Keto Shortbread Pie Crust
If you’re a regular reader, you know I like to make most of my Keto and Paleo recipes with different varieties of nuts and seeds, coconut flour or coconut butter. I save blanched almond flour for special occasions. Here’s one of those rare recipes that I hope you’ll enjoy for holidays, birthdays and summer gatherings.
Not to be a downer but …
The only almond flour that I buy personally is organic and grown in Spain. Almonds are a really important crop to buy organic and are native to the Mediterranean. I like that Spain mostly grows almonds for her own consumption (and doesn’t strain her ecosystem by heavily exporting), but also that her economy can use international support. So if you’d like to choose a better almond flour, here’s that link. (As you may know, California really strains her dessert ecosystem by watering the largest crop of almonds in the world. Plus, heavily sprays this crop with pesticides.)
I know you’ll appreciate how fresh and healthy an option the Spanish blanched almond flour product is!
Blanched almond flour makes a great crust …
With that said, the first ingredient in Keto Shortbread Crust is blanched almond flour … which is an easy ingredient to use, and combined with melted butter 🙂 and granulated sweetener, creates a great shortbread cookie texture and flavor!
(If you’re ancestral in your cooking and don’t use store bought almond flour, you can use “crispy” nuts. Simply make a fine flour with them for this recipe!)
I’ve also used two other ingredients. I use a tiny bit of flax seed meal, which adds a better texture and outcome than almond flour alone.
And sea salt, which makes all cookies (this is a cookie crust after all) pop with the best flavor — that very subtle-salty improves the sweet!
How to make Keto Shortbread Pie Crust
This recipe is extra easy because unlike a lot of pie dough recipes that cut the fat into the flour, this recipe uses melted butter.
I like to use electric beaters to combine, just to be fast and thorough in my mixing. But you can also mix the ingredients by hand, using a fork, or use a food processor.
After the ingredients are stirred together, keep mixing until the almond flour is completely incorporated and the ingredients are sticking to each other.
Then the raw crust get’s pressed into a pie plate. We poke the crust with a fork all over, to prevent big bubbles from forming during baking.
And then we bake and cool.
Now your pie crust is ready to be filled.
Carbs in Keto Shortbread Pie Crust
Just 3 grams net carbs in this crust! With my Strawberry Cream Pie filling, that is just 6 grams net carbs total for 1/6 of the big pie! Super low carb. (Or 4.5 grams net carbs for 1/8 of the pie.)
Filling suggestions for Keto Shortbread Pie Crust
- The best filling for this pie is Strawberry Cream Pie (recipe here)!
- Or, for a lighter strawberry pie, with a non-dairy filling, Strawberry Coconut Lime Cream Pie.
But that’s arguable, depending on what you love best. 🙂 You can also fill with or make:
- Mud Pie
- Pumpkin Pie Mousse or this one (In the fall and for holidays.)
- Chocolate Avocado Mousse (You can replace the coconut cream with cream cheese, if desired.)
- Chocolate Ganache + Ice cream (Freeze until well-set and sliceable; then eat!)
- What else? Comment below what you end up making!
How to store leftovers
Most fillings for this pie need to be chilled. So to store leftovers, just cover with your favorite wrap, and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Keto Shortbread Pie Crust (Paleo, egg-free)
- 9" pie plate
- electric mixer or food processor (ideal to have one of these, but not necessary; can be mixed by hand)
Shortbread Pie Crust
- 2-½ cups *minus 2 Tablespoons blanched almond flour (That's right: Measure 2-½ cups into your bowl, then take out 2 Tablespoons.)
- ½ cup granulated erythritol-monk fruit sweetener blend OR maple sugar or coconut sugar for Paleo
- ¼ cup + 1 Tablespoon butter , melted (This is the same as 5 Tablespoons.)
- 2 Tablespoons flax seed meal
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Have on hand a 9" pie plate.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together almond flour, flax seed meal, sweetener and sea salt.
- Using electric beaters, mix in the melted butter until well combined. Keep mixing until all of the almond flour is incorporated. (A food processor may also be used for this step.)
- Press into the bottom of the pie plate. Crimp or scallop the edge if desired. (This recipe crimps really nicely and holds its shape when baked.) Use a fork to poke holes into the dough to prevent large bubbles from forming.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly golden. Allow to cool before filling.
Looking for more great Keto & Paleo dessert recipes? Enjoy these: