I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
With only two veggies and pre-cooked sausages, this is a realistic weeknight soup meal that gives you bone broth and creamy goodness! Italian Parmesan Sausage Soup is Primal, Keto (with one easy variation), Low Carb and GAPS! You’ll love how fast and easily dinner comes together and how yummy it is!
Sausage and Veggies
Which sausages to buy? Look at your market for Applegate or some other large link sausage that is pre-cooked, like Mulay’s. Or find a raw, sustainably-sourced mild Italian sausage. (If raw, simmer them whole for 12 minutes; they’re now ready for this recipe.)
The season can dictate the veggies. The basics will stay the same, creamy and comforting; but variations can come as veggies come and go. Fresh green beans work well in this recipe for Primal and GAPS; but frozen work well, too, when they’re no longer in season. Cauliflower is pretty easy to find year round; but feel free to substitute in or add veggies: fennel, celeriac, even stewed tomatoes. For Keto and Low Carb, I love using frozen artichokes in place of the green beans, which is also great for Primal and GAPS, and very Italian. 🙂
Parmesan is that excellent, aged cheese that everyone loves, children and adults alike. The fact that it’s aged means the milk sugar in the cheese, lactose, is consumed. This long step is what makes Parmesan suitable for the GAPS Diet. The aging process makes it easier to digest. The aging process is also what gives it that wonderful, sharp flavor.
Leftovers or fresh …
Leftovers of this soup are great, too. So you can make extra and have more than one super easy soup meal!
Serve soup with a side of whole food probiotics, like fresh sauerkraut, and salad, for living enzymes.
To your health and enjoyment!
Italian Parmesan Sausage Soup — Primal, Keto, Low Carb, GAPS
- 5 cups bone broth
- 1 head cauliflower chopped into bite-size pieces, including stems
- 1 pound fresh green beans chopped into 1 inch lengths (frozen green beans work, too); use frozen artichoke hearts for Keto version! 🙂
- 12 ounces large mild Italian link sausages, fully cooked halved lengthwise and sliced (creating half circles)
- 1 cup raw cream
- 1/2 cup ground parmesan (or finely grated) asiago and romano are fine substitutes for parmesan
- 2 tablespoons traditional fat such as tallow, lard or butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Heat fat in large deep skillet over medium high heat. Add green beans and sea salt. Saute 10 minutes. Add cauliflower, stirring. Saute 5 minutes more, lowering heat to medium as needed to prevent burning.
- Add bone broth, and simmer 15 minutes. Add sausage and garlic, and simmer 5 minutes more.
- Turn off heat. Stir in cream. Serve soup, topping each with parmesan.