I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
With only two to three veggies and pre-cooked sausages, this is a realistic weeknight soup meal that gives you bone broth (it’s also okay to use regular broth) and creamy goodness, with very little work. Italian Parmesan Sausage Soup is Primal, Keto and GAPS-friendly. You’ll love how fast and easily dinner comes together and how yummy it is!
Sausages and which veggies to choose
Which sausages to buy?
Or find a raw, sustainably-sourced mild Italian sausage. (If raw, simmer whole for 12 minutes; then they’re ready for this recipe.)
The season can dictate the veggies, or use frozen. The basics will stay the same, creamy and comforting; but variations can come as veggies come and go.
I do like to use three particular frozen vegetables in this soup, which makes it extra convenient for any night of the week. My favorite frozen veggies to use are green beans, cauliflower rice and artichoke hearts, all of which are low carb.
Fresh green beans also work well in this recipe. Cauliflower is pretty easy to find year round; but feel free to substitute in or add other veggies: fennel, celeriac, zucchini, even stewed tomatoes.
What broth to use
You have a few great options:
- Bone Broth — This recipe teaches you how to make the best bone broth, without rancid fat, and answers all your questions.
- Meat Stock from Ground Beef — This is a really easy and affordable broth that’s delicious and convenient.
- Fastest Meat Stock Recipe — Just 15 minutes and made with chicken.
- Best Bone Broths to Buy
Parmesan is that excellent, aged cheese that everyone loves, children and adults alike.
The fact that it’s aged means the milk sugar in the cheese, lactose, is consumed. This long step is what makes parmesan suitable for the GAPS Diet. The aging process makes it easier to digest.
The aging process is also what gives it that wonderful, sharp flavor.
You may also use another aged, hard cheese, such as Romano or asiago.
Leftovers or fresh …
Leftovers of this soup are great. So you can even make extra on purpose to have more than one easy soup meal. Otherwise, this recipe serves 4 to 5.
To store leftovers, simply seal well and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat in a saucepan, stirring occasionally until heated through.
You can also freeze leftovers. Defrost overnight in the fridge or on the counter for 4 hours, before reheating.
What to serve with Italian Parmesan Sausage Soup
Serve soup with a side of whole food probiotics, like fresh sauerkraut, and salad, for living enzymes.
You can also make muffins, which I always love with soup for dinner. Muffins and soup make a very welcoming and satisfying meal:
- Master Keto Muffin recipe (any flavor)
- Keto, Paleo and GAPS Rosemary-Pine Nut Muffins
- Morning Glory Muffins
- Keto Cheese Muffins
- Low-FODMAP Meat and Egg Muffins — for extra protein
Italian Parmesan Sausage Soup — Primal, Keto, Low Carb, GAPS
- large deep skillet or broad large saucepan/stock pot
- 5 cups bone broth or other broth
- 1 head cauliflower chopped into bite-size pieces, including stems OR cauliflower rice
- 1 pound green beans fresh or frozen, chopped into 1" lengths
- 1 package frozen artichoke hearts
- 12 ounces large mild Italian link sausages, fully cooked halved lengthwise and sliced (creating half circles)
- 1 cup cream (For GAPS, use fully fermented sour cream or coconut cream.)
- ½ cup ground parmesan (or finely grated) asiago and romano are fine substitutes for parmesan
- 2 Tablespoons traditional fat such as bacon fat, lard or butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- ½ teaspoon sea salt + freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat fat in large deep skillet over medium high heat. Add frozen artichoke hearts and sprinkle in sea salt. Allow to fry for 2 to 3 minutes, then sauté (move them around in the pan) for 5 minutes. Add green beans (okay if they're still frozen). Sauté 5 minutes. Add cauliflower, stirring. Sauté 5 minutes more, lowering heat to medium as needed to prevent burning. (Optional: If you love herbs, you can also at this point add up to 2 teaspoons of Italian herbs, and sauté them in: basil, oregano, thyme and sage are all good.)
- Add bone broth, sausage and garlic and simmer 5 to 15 minutes, depending on how cooked you like your veggies. (Frozen veggies actually take less time to cook because they've been pre-cooked, so allow more time for fresh veggies.)
- Turn off heat. Stir in cream. Serve soup, topping each with parmesan.
If you’re looking for more great Keto, Primal soups, enjoy these:
- Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Tom Kha Gai (Thai Chicken Soup)
- Chinese Chicken and Wild Mushroom Stew
- Zucchini Chorizo Butter Stew
And also see my Soups & Stews cookbook HERE.