I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
Great for breakfast, lunch, snack or dinner, Low FODMAP Meat and Egg Muffins are super satisfying and convenient. These savory treats are gentle to digest, Keto, Grain-free, Gluten-free, Primal and GAPS.
Just 2 net carbs per muffin!
Jump to Recipe
What is Low FODMAP
You don’t need to be on a Low FODMAP diet to enjoy these muffins. But, the recipe is gentler to digest for everyone because it’s Low FODMAP.
You might be wondering, what is a Low FODMAP diet? Learn more here.
Find Keto Low FODMAP guidelines and a free printable grocery list here.
Ingredients in Low FODMAP Meat and Egg Muffins
In this recipe, a meat base gets topped off with an egg and cheese filling — for a layered muffin high in protein and good fats.
This makes a great meal or traveling meal!
Ingredients — What meat to choose: beef …
I like to use ground beef because when it’s grass-finished, it’s high in omega-3s and just all round nutrient-dense, including high in zinc! (Most other meats do not have as good a fat profile or as many nutrients.)
Other red meats like wild game or buffalo would also be great.
If you’d like to try using pork or ground turkey, those will likely work, although pork that isn’t lean may render a lot of fat.
What cheeses are Low FODMAP
The most common cheeses to grate that are also Low FODMAP are: cheddar, Swiss, Gruyère and Havarti. Each of these cheeses is aged, so the lactose that aggravates some people’s digestion is greatly reduced.
If you love brie or Camembert, these soft cheeses can be frozen for just an hour or two, so they’re easier to grate, and they also work well.
Lastly, other aged cheeses like Pecorino, Parmesan and blue cheeses can work, but because they are really strong in flavor (or in the case of hard cheeses, not as good at melting), they’re best to use in combination with another softer grated cheese, not exclusively, in this recipe.
How to make Low FODMAP Meat and Egg Muffins
This recipe comes together quickly!:
- In one bowl, combine the meat, 1 egg, green onions, oregano and sea salt. In a smaller bowl, combine eggs, cheese, cream and sea salt.
- Press meat mixture into prepared muffin pan, going up the sides to form cups.
- Scoop/pour egg mixture into cavity formed by the meat mixture, and top with dried basil.
- Bake 25 minutes. Serve hot, warm, room temp or cold.
I like to use a handheld electric mixer to combine the meat, but you can also use just your hands or a big fork, whatever feels easiest.
How to store and reheat leftover Meat Muffins
This recipe keeps well in the fridge or freezer, for impromptu meals. Reheat, or enjoy cold.
Freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge, or out on the counter, unwrapped, for 4 hours.
To reheat cold leftovers, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Place muffins on parchment lined plate or baking sheet, and warm until heated through, about 13 to 15 minutes.
Low FODMAP Meat and Egg Muffins (Keto, Gluten-free)
- 2 mixing bowls one big, one small
- muffin pan
- parchment paper or extra big muffin pan liners
- 1 lb ground beef or other ground meat you may prefer
- 5 eggs divided: one for meat/beef mixture
- 1 cup cheese grated, Low-FODMAP aged cheese options include: Cheddar, Swiss and Havarti.
- ½ cup green onions' greens (omit whites for Low FODMAP and Keto)
- ⅓ cup heavy cream (Use fully cultured sour cream for GAPS.)
- 2 teaspoons oregano dried
- 1 teaspoon basil dried
- ¾ teaspoon + ¼ teaspoon salt divided, or Potassium Salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line muffin pan with squares of parchment paper, or extra big muffin liners. (Try to use extra big pieces of parchment or the big liners, so any overflow won't make your pan harder to clean.)
- In large mixing bowl, combine meat, 1 egg, green onions, oregano and sea salt. (I like to use electric beaters, but mixing by hand is fine, too.)
- In smaller mixing bowl, combine 4 eggs, cheese, cream and sea salt.
- Divide meat evenly between muffin cups. Press meat mixture into lined muffin tins, going up the sides about 2 inches, to form cups.
- Pour/scoop egg mixture into meat cups. It's okay if some overflows a bit (but it does make the muffin pan harder to clean if your liners aren't big enough). Top each muffin with dried basil.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until well puffed and slightly browned. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving. Also great to serve room temperature or cold.
You can Pin this recipe here:
More Low FODMAP Keto recipes
In addition to being Low FODMAP and Keto, these recipes are also Gluten-free and grain-free: