I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
Ten minutes of prep time is often what we’re looking for, yes?– when it comes to dinner?
And this gorgeously crispy coating is kind of like a parmesan-fried-chicken (but one that gets baked), so your eaters will love it. Simple, classic goodness. Delicious– and pretty topped with fresh basil or edible flowers.
The broccoli roasts in the same pan, getting all the lovely pan drippings, and making clean-up easier.
This recipe is Paleo, yet will happily feed all the hedonists in your life (which may be you, no?) Also, it just has a little of that wonderful cassava flour in the coating, so if you’re phasing off of the GAPS Diet, it might be a good way to try it. Our bodies loved this complex carb.
- 2 pounds chicken pieces drumsticks, thighs (either with or without skin and bone)
- 1/4 cup + 2 more Tablespoons lard or preferred traditional fat: butter, avocado oil
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese or other ground, aged cheese, like Asiago, Romano etc.
- 2 Tablespoons cassava flour see link below in Recipe Notes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large heads broccoli chopped into bite-size pieces, stalks peeled deeply and cut into slices
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place 1/4 cup fat into large cast iron skillet or baking dish and place in oven to melt, if using a solid fat.
- Lay chicken in pan. Using your hand, roll each piece over in the fat. Sprinkle the top of each piece (making a pile) with garlic powder, then parmesan, then cassava, then basil, then sea salt, and black pepper. Try to get the sprinkles on the chicken itself and not too much in the open places of the pan.
- Using your bare hand, pick up each piece and dredge its bottom side with the mixture from the top of another piece of chicken, also sopping up any spilled on the pan. In this way, each piece of chicken will have fat on its bottom side and then be dredged with the parmesan, cassava and seasoning as well.
- Add remaining 2 Tablespoons fat on and around the chicken, in small blobs.
- Place in preheated oven and bake until cooked through, about 50 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven. Using tongs or two forks, completely roll over each piece of chicken (360 degrees), so its crispy top is coated in hot fat.
- Transfer chicken to a plate. Add chopped broccoli to pan. Toss well, to coat with pan drippings, using a metal spatula if needed to scrape up bits from pan.
- Return broccoli to oven for 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and turn off heat.
- Return chicken to cast iron skillet and place in oven briefly, to be sure it's warm. Garnish with fresh edible flowers, or fresh basil; and serve.