I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
Roasted Caramelized Delicata Squash Slices have got to be one of life’s best comfort foods — better than popcorn, pretty enough for a holiday table, versatile enough to top a salad, OR most obviously, serve it as an amazing side dish. This tempting treat is as sweet as veggies come — with crispy edges and a rich delicious soft squash filling.
And, did I mention easy? So easy, because this winter squash does not need to be peeled before being cooked. And I’ve created a cooking method that makes the whole process even easier.
Caramelized Roasted Delicata Squash is great for Paleo, AIP, Whole30, Vegan, GAPS, Gluten-free, Ancestral and more. Enjoy!
Jump to Recipe
Ingredients in Roasted Delicata Squash Slices
Just 2 ingredients in this veggie treat: delicata squash and your fat of choice.
You may use: avocado oil, olive oil or a melted solid fat you like, such as coconut oil, OR butter, ghee, duck fat etc. for non-vegan.
How to make Roasted Caramelized Delicata Squash
The most important step I created that makes this recipe easier is to pre-bake the squash whole, before slicing it. This makes the slicing of thin slices faster and easier, and it makes the scooping out of the inner seeds from the squash cavity really easy and fast! I made up this method for myself while we were on the GAPS diet because that lifestyle requires so much cooking — that every shortcut pays off. Tired moms can be very innovative.
After pre-baking and scooping out squash seeds, do the easy sheet pan roasting:
- Slice squash lengths into about 1/3″ thick slices.
- Place fat of choice on baking sheet. Flip and coat each slice in fat, then line up on the pan, in a single layer, to fit as many slices as possible. You may need 2 pans.
- Bake in preheated oven until bottom sides are browned lightly. Flip each slice, and bake until bottoms of second sides are browned, too.
How to serve Roasted Caramelized Delicata Squash Slices
- These are wonderful on their own as a side dish.
- Top any fall or winter salad. They’re so pretty and delicious with a vinaigrette and lettuces.
- Place on top of a casserole that needs an attractive finish, like this.
- Garnish pizza (here): place on top for the last 5 minutes of baking the pizzas, after the squash are already roasted.
- Top a bowl, like this AIP recipe, that’s full of other veggies, meat and maybe a good sauce, or like this, for a Mexican bowl.
- Serve as an appetizer. People love snacking on these, so they make great finger food.
Roasted Caramelized Delicata Squash Slices
- 1 to 2 sheet pans
- 1 to 2 whole delicata squash preferably organic
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil , extra-virgin olive oil, or solid natural fat, melted; use up to ¼ cup oil if you have 2 large squash
- Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- Place 1 to 2 delicata squash in oven whole, on a baking sheet or even directly on the baking rack. Bake 25 minutes.
- Remove whole squash carefully, using hot pad. Place on cutting board and slice in half length-wise. Scoop out seeds. Cut into 1/3" thick slices.
- Place fat (or melted solid fat) onto baking sheet(s). Flip and coat each slice in fat. Spread out evenly on baking sheet(s), in a single layer. Bake 15 to 25 minutes, until bottom sides are golden brown.
- Flip each 1/2-ring over. Bake additional 15 to 20 minutes, depending on oven/how dark they are, until squash is browned perfectly on both sides. Watch closely in case your cooking time is slightly less, to prevent burning.