I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
GAPS, AIP, SCD, PALEO, DAIRY-FREE
Soup makes the perfect, simple meal. Made with bone broth it satisfies. Made with fresh herbs it speaks with a zing. Ginger root adds fire and health to any bowl. And with mint it’s a winning combination: powerful, comforting and grounding.
This is a crock pot soup, designed for an easy, quick preparation. The components poach in the bone broth itself; there is almost no work!
I like this soup with protein on the side: either fried up sausages or hard-boiled eggs and a cheese plate. We also like a raw veggie plate with this meal, one that gets passed and munched on, alternating the fresh and crisp with the earthy, hot soup. (For a one-dish meal, I add leftover meat or quickly cooked up ground meat to the bisque. The cup of soup pictured shows the soup with leftover slow-cooked pork.)
- 4 cup bone broth (recipe here)
- 4 large juicing carrots (about 4 cups worth, if each one is snapped or cut in half)
- 1 rainbow radish or turnip, peeled and cut in half (or use a yellow onion, peeled; but I like the added earthiness of the former)
- 1/4 cup fat of choice: extra-virgin coconut oil, grass-fed butter, ghee, duck fat etc.
- 1″ nub of fresh ginger, cut into 4 pieces (add 2 inches of ginger if you like it spicy, which my 5-year-old does not); you do not need to peel it first
- 3 branches fresh mint, with about 6-8 leaves per branch, or 1/3 cup loose leaves
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Bring your bone broth to a simmer in a large saucepan or your crock pot/slow cooker.
- Add the carrots, whole or halved and the radish or turnip halves.
- Allow the veggies to simmer, covered, for 30-40 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Transfer the veggies to a plate to cool.
- Turn off the heat and allow the broth to cool, uncovered. (Or ladle 4 cups broth out from your crock pot into a bowl, so it may cool.)
- When the broth is warm, about 25 minutes, transfer 1/2 of it and all the veggies to your blender.
- Add your fat of choice, ginger, mint and sea salt.
- Puree on medium-high speed for about 1 minute, until the mixture is totally smooth.
- Pour it and the remaining broth into a saucepan.
- Stirring, reheat to a simmer, over medium heat, and serve.