I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
Carrot and Beef Pie is a savory pie that’s made of two simple layers, and no extra ingredients: deliciously seasoned ground beef on the bottom, and a lovely carrot top — a bit like a shepherd’s pie, but much simpler and with a different charm.
This recipe is Paleo, AIP, Whole30, Low FODMAP, VAD, GAPS and Gluten-free.
My family loves when dinner is baked in a pie plate. Somehow it makes the presentation, serving and eating of it more exciting.
Savory pies are always special. When the crust/cobbler top is really just a comfort-food veggie purée — one that’s super inexpensive — an easy and affordable weeknight meal is born.
Add a simple green salad, and this dinner will feed four people, all for about $10 to $15, with leftovers for a second meal.
Jump to Recipe
Ingredients in Carrot and Beef Pie
Simple everyday (Low FODMAP) ingredients make this pie easy to pull together at the last minute, if you have carrots in the fridge (or garden) and beef in the fridge or freezer.
All of the gentle and healthful ingredients used in this recipe are:
- ground beef
- carrots — Use white carrots for VAD.
- tapioca starch/flour — Just a small amount is used in both layers for subtle thickening. This ingredient is even fine for VAD. Let me know in the comments if you need an alternative. (Omit for GAPS.)
- sea salt and herbs
- apple cider vinegar — This ingredient reacts with the baking soda and creates a light fluffy rise to the carrot topping.
- baking soda
How to make Carrot and Beef Pie
The two layers are prepared thus:
- Steam carrots, then purée or smash them with the remaining 5 topping ingredients.
- Cook up the ground beef, seasoning it with the 4 remaining meat ingredients.
- Layer into pie plate with meat on the bottom, carrot purée on the top.
- Bake until browned around the edges and cracked in places, about 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, if you have the time, and then serve.
Carrot and Beef Pie (Paleo, AIP, Low FODMAP, GF)
- pie plate
- saute pan
- saucepan with steamer or similar
- veggie smasher, fork or food processor
Ground beef layer
- 2 lbs ground beef preferably pasture-raised
- 1 Tablespoon tapioca starch /flour, or use rice flour for VAD/GF if preferred (Omit for GAPS.)
- 1-¾ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon herbs dried: 1 teaspoon each: dill, mint and rosemary, or use another blend you love like Herbs de Provence.
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- Grease pie plate. Preheat oven to 375℉.
The beef (bottom) layer
- Cook meat and salt in large skillet over medium heat, breaking up chunks into smaller pieces. Cook until no longer pink, about 8 to 10 minutes. When about 2 minutes remain, add tapioca flour, herbs and ginger. Cook final 2 minutes, moving herbs around with meat so they become heated and fragrant.
- Pour meat into pie plate, pressing it into a flat even layer. Set aside.
The carrot topping
- While meat is cooking, steam chopped carrots until very tender. Remove and allow them to cool slightly.
- Purée in food processor, or smash by hand with smasher or fork. Add apple cider vinegar. In small bowl, stir together tapioca flour, herbs and baking soda. Add dry ingredients to smashed carrots, and stir in well.
- Pour and scrape carrots onto beef in pie plate.
- Spread carrots evenly over meat. Bake in preheated oven until puffed, cracked in places and browned around the edges, about 40 minutes.
- Cool slightly, or up to an hour. Slice into wedges, and serve.