I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
Chocolate Chaffle Ice Cream Sandwiches are the BEST dessert or snack! We even eat them for breakfast occasionally! 😉 With perfectly textured Chocolate Chaffles, this healthy treat is quick and easy to assemble, but so special! Keto, Low Carb and Paleo.Jump to Recipe
What kind of chaffle maker to use
Many of you may already have a Dash-style chaffle maker you love. Great, use that!
If you don’t have one yet, I love my new one that makes extra mini chaffles! This maker creates the perfect size Chocolate Chaffles for a hand-size dessert! It makes four chaffles at a time. Find it HERE.
No chaffle maker? Make a Chaffle Ice Cream Taco instead! SUPER good! TIP: Fold your Chocolate Waffle over while it’s still warm so it holds its shape as it cools! Then fill with freshly made ice cream! (See photo below recipe.)
Which Chocolate Chaffle recipe to use
You’re all set: I made this Best Keto Chocolate Chaffles recipe just for these ice cream sandwiches!
Bonus: My Chocolate Chaffles recipe does not use cheese, so just a bit easier because it only uses pantry staples + more allergy-friendly for those who need that (can even be made dairy-free).
Best Keto Chocolate Chaffles are a little Oreo-like: crispy on the outside, but tender, plus dark with cocoa powder, and, of course, a little sweet. You can’t beat ’em for breakfast or for filling with ice cream! 🙂
Best dips or toppings for ice cream sandwiches!
Plain ice cream sandwiches are simply perfect! I can tell you from personal experience that biting into a Keto Chocolate Chaffle Ice Cream Sandwich is just SO GOOD: sweet, creamy, crispy (like Oreo-cookie, but better) but cakey, cold and refreshing + fun!
But obviously rolling or dipping ice cream sandwiches takes them to a whole new level of pretty and exciting!
So here are a few fun options:
- sprinkles — Find Keto/Low Carb Sprinkles HERE.
- chocolate chips — I only buy Fair Trade because that’s really important to me. Try Lily’s HERE! 🙂 Or Nibs HERE.
- chocolate shell! (my personal favorite) — If you LOVE chocolate, I recommend this option. It’s actually fast to make, just 3 ingredients, and you get big bites of rich chocolate that melt in your mouth with lots of rich chocolatey flavor! See Chocolate Shell recipe in Recipe Notes below.
What kind of ice cream to use
Use homemade or store bought:
- The best store bought Keto ice cream, in my opinion, is Rebel. To find more on the best Keto Ice Creams (and the worst), here‘s an article you might enjoy.
- Best homemade ice creams are actually really fast and easy to make! Try Vanilla Ice Cream, Mint Ice Cream, Chocolate Ice Cream and Avocado Sorbet (all have Keto and Paleo versions).
Tips for making Chocolate Chaffle Ice Cream Sandwiches
What temperature to have the ice cream at — Typically Keto and Low Carb ice creams are made with alcohol-sugar sweeteners. These polyol ice creams don’t freeze as hard as regular ice creams. So leave hard ice cream on the counter for about 10 or up to 20 minutes, so it’s softened, but not melting too much. You can also place your ice cream in the fridge instead, which will help it to soften more evenly, preventing really melty edges. Your ice cream should be soft enough to squish between two chaffles, but not messy. 🙂
Paleo ice creams freeze harder, so ideally defrost them more evenly and slowly by defrosting them in the fridge for about 20 to 25 minutes — unless the ice cream is freshly made, in which case it will need to be chilled. 😉
What temperature to have the chaffles at — Place baked and cooled Chocolate Chaffles in the freezer for about 10 minutes, or longer. This helps to harden them, but it also keeps the ice cream from melting too much while you’re forming the Sandwiches.
How to dip or roll Chocolate Chaffle Ice Cream Sandwiches in toppings — Freeze your ice cream sandwiches for at least 10 minutes before rolling in toppings like sprinkles or chocolate chips. To dip or drizzle with Chocolate Shell, freeze the ice cream sandwiches for longer, 30 minutes to 3 hours, or even overnight. The colder they are, two things: One, your dipping process will be neater and easier. Two, the chocolate will harden almost upon contact. Again, less messy.
How best to scoop ice cream when making ice cream sandwiches
The best tool to use is a cookie scoop (like this one) so you get the exact right portion every time. The automatic release mechanism is a nice feature to deposit the ice cream neatly for you. Choose the scoop size based on your chaffle size.
How to store leftover Chocolate Chaffle Ice Cream Sandwiches
Simply wrap well, and place in the freezer. You can wrap them in cling wrap, or place in a large glass storage container with rubber lid.
We eat ours pretty fast, but Chocolate Chaffle Ice Cream Sandwiches will last and stay fresh for about the same time period as ice cream itself. Better to eat sooner! But they’ll last for a week in the freezer and still taste their best. You can certainly get away with wrapping them well and freezing them for weeks or months.
Do you need to defrost Chocolate Chaffle Ice Cream Sandwiches before eating?
Nope, you don’t actually need to defrost, for the Keto and Low Carb version of this recipe. The waffles are great frozen, and Keto and Low Carb ice creams stay bite-able. 😉
Some Paleo ice creams do freeze harder. If your ice cream is hard straight from the freezer, place ice cream sandwiches in the fridge for up to 30 minutes before eating. This cold, but not-too-cold, space will help ice cream sandwiches to thaw more evenly.
Chocolate Chaffle Ice Cream Sandwiches (Keto, Low Carb, Paleo)
- chaffle maker (or waffle iron)
- Soften hard ice cream at room temperature a minimum of 10 minutes (or longer in the fridge to soften it evenly). Freeze cooled chaffles a minimum of 10 minutes.
- Use a cookie scoop to evenly portion ice cream on top of chaffle. Scoop portion that best fits your chaffle size: about 1/3 cup for tiny chaffles, about 2/3 to 1 cup for regular size chaffles.
- Add second chaffle, to make a sandwich, and gently press down until ice cream scoop evenly comes to the edges of both chaffles. Place completed sandwich on a tray or flat plate and freeze immediately. Repeat with any remaining Chocolate Chaffles.
- Freeze a minimum of 10 minutes if you wish to eat immediately. Otherwise, freeze for 3 hours, or cover and freeze overnight or longer.
- To roll in sprinkles or chocolate chips, simply freeze for 10 to 30 minutes. Then place sprinkles or chocolate chips in small dish. Roll ice cream edges into bits, sprinkling and pressing topping on in places, as needed. Freeze until ready to eat.
- To make and dip in Chocolate Shell, see Recipe Notes below.
Chocolate Shell recipeIngredients
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup fair trade cocoa powder (find it here)
- 1/4 cup low carb powdered sweetener (like this one) for Keto and Low Carb; for Paleo, use pure maple syrup or raw honey, preferably at room temperature
- 2 pinches sea salt (not optional) 🙂
- stevia drops, to taste, if you want your chocolate sweeter
- Use a small saucepan and low heat. Do not allow any water in or near your saucepan or any of your ingredients.
- Place coconut oil in saucepan and allow it to melt slowly.
- Once melted, whisk in cocoa powder. Then slowly whisk in sweetener. Add sea salt.
- Allow to cool slightly before spooning over well-frozen ice cream sandwiches.
Chaffle Ice Cream Taco!
If you don’t have a chaffle maker or don’t intend to get one, Chaffle Ice Cream Tacos are how we started too! 😉 I can tell you from experience that these are SO delicious and fun, especially with freshly made, homemade ice cream! Be sure to use this Chocolate Chaffle recipe, and fold over the waffle to create a “U” shape while it’s still warm. Then cool, place it in the freezer until it’s chilled. Fill and eat!