I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
AIP Pumpkin Cookies are a soft, autumnal cookie — delicious and not too sweet. Filled with warm fall spices, here’s a treat to enjoy as a snack, afternoon tea item or dessert.
This recipe is Paleo, Gluten-free, egg-free and nut-free.
Ingredients in AIP Pumpkin Cookies
The main ingredients in AIP Pumpkin Cookies are basic AIP pantry staples: cassava flour, coconut butter, coconut flour, collagen and gelatin. Also canned pumpkin (you can probably use leftover cooked winter squashes too, dense ones, like kabocha or butternut), coconut oil, honey or maple syrup and sea salt.
For leavening, apple cider vinegar and baking soda.
The recipe Notes below the recipe contains links if you don’t know where to source something. You can also make your own coconut butter (which saves a lot of money and is a quick, easy process if you have a high-speed blender or food processer).
Pumpkin Cookies always include fall spices. This recipe includes cinnamon, ginger (dried or fresh, your preference) and cloves. You can also add mace if you love it and want extra spices! These favorites are all AIP compliant.
How to garnish and serve AIP Pumpkin Cookies
You can either bake and serve these cookies plain, or you can add frosting.
Plain, these cookies are great to add to any meal, a special pastry-like treat to have with protein and veggies at breakfast. A carb-treat with or after lunch.
Or a healthy dessert with dinner.
If you want them to be an obvious dessert, then you can slather them with AIP Buttercream (recipe here), which makes them look like very traditional pumpkin cookies — lovely for their eye appeal, how fun they taste! and for the holidays.
How to store AIP Pumpkin Cookies
I like to refrigerate cookies for a few days and then freeze any extras. You can also leave them out at room temperature for up to two days in a well sealed container. Once frosted, though, it’s best to keep them chilled.
To freeze, place in a well sealed container. Defrost at room temperature or overnight in the fridge.
If you pack frozen cookies in lunches in the morning or the night before, the frozen cookies will be defrosted by lunch time.
AIP Pumpkin Cookies (Paleo | GF | egg-free | nut-free)
- bowl and spatula
- cookie sheet
- cookie scoop
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup cassava flour Otto's preferred (or Bob's)
- 1/2 cup coconut butter warmed slightly; see Recipe Notes for source
- 1/3 cup coconut oil softened, or ghee
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup collagen
- 2 Tablespoons maple sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 Tablespoon gelatin
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ginger dried (depending on preference) or 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl: cassava flour, coconut flour, collagen, maple sugar, gelatin, spices, baking soda and sea salt.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the wet ingredients: pumpkin, warm coconut butter, coconut oil, liquid sweetener and apple cider vinegar.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, folding together thoroughly without over-mixing.
- Using a 2-ounce (or 3 Tablespoon) cookie scoop (see Recipe Notes), mound cookie dough onto cookie sheet, spacing apart by 1". Take 3 wetted fingers and press down on each cookie to flatten slightly.
- Bake in preheated oven 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown around the edges and golden brown on top. (See photos below.) If you wish to frost with AIP Buttercream, first allow cookies to fully cool.
Optional Buttercream recipe HERE.Here's where to buy Otto's cassava flour. They provide the best price and free shipping. Here's a good coconut butter. Or make your own!, directions here. Here is a sustainable source for gelatin. Here is the grass-fed collagen I buy. Both of these links qualify you for my discount code. Type in BEAUTIFUL10 at checkout to get 10% off! This is the world's best cookie scoop. It also makes a great gift for someone (including you) who loves baking cookies, muffins or scooping ice cream. Excellent quality and so useful.