I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
We love love love delicata squash around here. The porridge? My kids love it for breakfasts and snacks, and I think you will too! Throw a few things in the Instant Pot, including a whole, uncut delicata squash, and with only about 5 minutes’ labor you have a beautiful, wholesome porridge. This breakfast recipe is AIP compliant as well as GAPS-friendly, but serve it to anyone who loves porridge. Apple-Delicata Squash Porridge is delicious and naturally sweet!
The slippery elm is optional, as it’s not compliant for those just starting out on the AIP Diet. Otherwise, I recommend it. Here’s why. Also, I show nuts (below) as a topping on the porridge. Of course, AIP folks aren’t going to use those. But have fun with the toppings, based on your restrictions: coconut, fresh or frozen berries, sliced banana etc.
Family Breakfasts and Snacks
One afternoon my 15-year-old daughter said to me as she ate this recipe chilled as pudding, “Mom, this pudding you made is soo good.”
Then I happily overheard this between my teenage kids. I was in the bathroom listening, unbeknownst to them, while my daughter continued to eat the leftover porridge cold as pudding:
Son: Isn’t that stuff so delicious?
Daughter: Mmm, so good.
🙂 (My son ate the porridge hot that morning for breakfast.) So I recommend the loveliness not only as hot porridge, but I pour it into 8 oz. canning jars for lunches and snacks.
Whether GAPS Diet, AIP, Paleo or just a lover of wholesome food (and delicata squash!), this porridge is sure to please for breakfasts, snacks and lunches.
Instant Pot goodness here: 🙂
- 4 small or 2 large apples unpeeled, flesh cut from the cores
- 1 delicata squash washed and whole
- 1/2 cup bone broth with little fat, or water instead
- 3 Tablespoons slippery elm optional for those on AIP
- 2 Tablespoons gelatin or up to 1/4 cup if eating the porridge hot (not chilled as pudding)
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon each: cloves and ginger
- pinch sea salt
- Place whole, uncut delicata squash into insert pot. Add apple chunks. Add bone broth and spices. Make sure rubber ring is in place in the Instant Pot lid, and secure lid, closing steam valve. Choose Manual setting and 8 minutes.
- When timer goes off, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes; then press Cancel, place a dish towel over steam valve and open it to release any remaining pressure. Remove lid and insert, so the pot's contents begin to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, place delicata on a plate or cutting board. Cut in half length-wise and remove seeds with spoon. (They come out very quickly and easily.) Place squash halves and pot's contents (apples, broth and spices) into blender.
- Add remaining ingredients: optional slippery elm, gelatin, maple syrup and sea salt. Blend for about 30 seconds, until smooth. Serve with optional toppings, or pour into portable containers for packing in lunches.
By the way, this is the Instant Pot I use.
Need more great AIP breakfast recipes?! Here are a few of our favorites!:
- Turkey, Apples and Onions Hash
- Sweet & Savory Breakfast Cookies
- AIP Lemon Blueberry Coffeecake — serve with a side of homemade sausage patties
- Delicata Squash, Apple, Pork and Bacon Breakfast Casserole (we LOVE this for special occasions)