I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
With a short 15 minute prep time, the complex flavors in this Keto and GAPS stew are deceptive. Here’s how the components achieve their success: The butter performs magic. It makes an otherwise spicy stew into (even child-friendly) comfort food. It mellows the spices and makes the dish creamy. Zucchini, similarly, through a long, slow cook becomes soft and forms the stew-like base. I know many are squeamish about over-cooked zucchini. In this recipe, we are not going for al dente. The zucchini plays the role of porridge or rice; it’s the cozy, thick foundation on which the spices and meat luxuriate. Finally, there is hardly an easier dinner than this one. Already prepared chorizo is fast food. Perfectly spiced meat flavors the whole stew, taking the work away from you.
To find sustainably-sourced spiced meat, make sure there is no dextrose or added sugar. I like Mulay’s brand, which we find at Natural Grocers. I also like this Bison Chorizo, which can be ordered, if you need online provisions. You may even have a local pasture-raising pig farmer who makes his/her own chorizo.
For a delicious weeknight meal with very little prep, here’s the bone broth-based stew: spicy, creamy and satisfying!
- 2 lbs. zucchini, (always buy organic with this crop to avoid GMO)
- 4 cups bone broth
- 1 pound chorizo, sustainably-sourced
- 3 bell peppers, 1 yellow, 1orange, 1 red
- 6 T. grass-fed butter
- Cut zucchini into 1/2" slices. Place in medium-large size saucepan. Add bone broth. Heat broth over high heat; then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer zucchini 30 minutes.
- Slice peppers thinly. Add peppers and chorizo to pot. Break up meat with a spatula into simmering broth. Mix peppers in as well. Continue to break up all meat into small pieces. Replace lid and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir the stew at this point, making sure all meat is broken up, allowing zucchini to break up and fall apart. Cook, covered, an additional 10 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in butter, allowing it to melt and mix in completely. Serve.