I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
Simple Bone Broth / Meat Stock Gravy is the perfect easy gravy recipe, with just 5 ingredients, to meet everyone’s needs and also great for wellness diets like Gluten-free, Paleo, AIP, Low FODMAP, Whole30 and VAD.
With a couple of tips to make this simple recipe extra flavorful, you are going to save a ton of time and worry, with this quick delicious gravy for the holidays or everyday.
Jump to Recipe
Ingredients in Simple Bone Broth Gravy
I have you covered for this, if it seems intimidating! I have the most delicious “buttery” Meat Stock recipe that is made in just 15 minutes.
With this stock base, OR this perfect Bone Broth recipe, for those who prefer the longer cooked bone-sourced broth, you’ll be starting off with the flavorful base you need.
Here are the ingredients you’ll gather in the order they’re used to make this lovely, flavorful, simple gravy:
- fat of choice — Tip 2 for this recipe’s best success is to choose a flavorful fat, for example, bacon fat if you eat pork, butter if you eat dairy, or schmaltz (rendered chicken fat). I give a few more options, too, in the Recipe card.
- tapioca flour — Use tapioca flour for Paleo and grain-free, or for Gluten-free and VAD, use white rice flour.
- Bone Broth or Meat Stock (links to these recipes in Recipe card below)
- coconut aminos — Just a small amount is used to add depth of flavor, both umami and richness.
- dried herbs — dried sage, dried thyme, dried and powdered rosemary and dried ginger powder (or white pepper if you eat it) — Or, to make this recipe only 5 ingredients total, you may use just herbal Poultry Seasoning if you prefer, instead of the separate herbs and spices.
How to make Simple Bone Broth / Meat Stock Gravy
- We start this recipe by making what’s called a roux (easy): Combine over medium heat fat and flour, whisking to combine until the fat melts and the mixture simmers. Whisk in salt and herbs, and simmer about 1 minute.
- Whisk in broth, and whisking occasionally, bring to a simmer again, at which point the gravy will instantly thicken.
- Remove from the heat, and whisk in coconut aminos. Taste for salt, and serve, or keep warm until you’re ready for it.
Yes, you can make this Simple Bone Broth Gravy up to several days early, and then just reheat when you’re ready to use it.
Leftovers and reheating
Seal and refrigerate up to 5 days. Reheat in small saucepan.
Simple Bone Broth / Meat Stock Gravy
- small saucepan or even a skillet will work
- 3 Tablespoons fat of choice bacon fat, ghee, butter, coconut oil or schmaltz are my favorites
- 3 Tablespoons tapioca flour or for Gluten-free & VAD, use white rice flour
- ½ teaspoon salt and up to ¼ teaspoon more, to taste (at the end, if needed) (I use this salt at the end, as the finishing salt, for the best flavor.)
- ¾ teaspoon dried sage* use dried rosemary, powdered, for VAD
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme* omit for VAD
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary powder* increase to ½ teaspoon for VAD
- ¼ teaspoon dried ginger powder* or for non-AIP/VAD, white pepper, to taste, up to ⅛ teaspoon (or more, to taste)
- 2-½ cups Bone Broth or Meat Stock (see recipe links) -- You may need more or less salt to "finish" the gravy, based on how salty and flavorful your original broth or stock is. Use homemade broth or stock (see links) for the best results.
- 1 Tablespoon coconut aminos
- Combine over medium heat fat and flour, whisking to combine until the fat melts and the mixture simmers.
- Stir in salt and herbs, and simmer about 1 minute. Whisk in broth, and whisking occasionally, bring to a simmer again, at which point the gravy will instantly thicken. Continue to simmer steadily about 3 minutes, stirring or whisking occasionally. Reduce heat as needed so it doesn't simmer too fast.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in coconut aminos. Taste for salt, and serve. Keep warm if you don't want it to thicken or cool too much.