I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
Keto Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting is my first go-to creamy chocolate frosting! With just 4 easy ingredients, this recipe is super fast to whip up. This classic frosting recipe tastes amazing on Keto Yellow Cake and Chocolate Cupcakes + any other cake needs you may have!
Easy, no technique needed, spread it or pipe it!
Jump to Recipe
Ingredients in Keto Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
Just four convenient ingredients go into Keto Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting:
- powdered sweetener
- cream cheese
- cocoa powder
How to make Keto Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
I really like the method for making this frosting. It’s the easiest frosting recipe I make!
There are only two steps:
- You put room temperature cream cheese in a bowl and beat it briefly, for about 1 minute.
- Next, you melt a small amount of butter, and add cocoa powder to it. Stir. The almost cool chocolate gets beaten into the cream cheese with some powdered sweetener.
How to use Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
As mentioned, this frosting goes beautifully with yellow or chocolate cakes. It’s tangy from the cream cheese, milk-chocolatey and super versatile.
For kids’ or grown-ups’ special occasions, this is one reliable recipe you can whip up without worrying about proper technique, temperature, tools or time! It’s fast and easy — about 10 to 15 minutes total, including gathering and measuring.
How to apply the frosting
You can spread this frosting on with an offset spatula. Just scoop dollops onto your cake and spread.
You can also scoop creamy Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting into a piping bag and make pretty swirls or piping designs.
Once the cake is frosted, I like to chill it for about 1 to 3 hours before serving. I think a refrigerated, frosted cake is absolutely delicious — especially in the summer. I love how the frosting firms up a bit, and so does the cake, and together, they create an incredible moist tender bite, firm but soft.
Which cake recipes to use with Keto Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
This depends on which flavor combinations you like, but it’s hard to go wrong. Here are some good Keto and Primal cake and cupcake recipes with which to start:
- Best Keto Yellow Cake
- Orange Creamsicle Cake (if you like orange and chocolate together, yum)
- Chocolate Mint Cupcakes (or leave the peppermint out for a plain, great, moist Chocolate Cupcake)
How to store and use leftover Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
Frosting keeps really well.
You can refrigerate for 1 week, well sealed. To use, bring to room temperature. Beat briefly.
Freeze for up to 3 months, well sealed. Defrost overnight on the counter, and bring to room temperature. Beat briefly.
Keto Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting (Primal)
- electric beaters
- Stir cocoa powder into hot butter. (Make sure no drops of water or wet mixing tools are used.) (Assembled ingredients in photo.)
- Using electric beaters, beat cream cheese for 1 minute, until lighter in texture.
- Add sweetener and cocoa-butter mixture. Beat 1 minute until fluffy.
- Use now to frost your cake! Or refrigerate until ready to use; then bring to room temperature. Once your cake is frosted, you can serve it room temperature, but I like it best refrigerated for 1 to 3 hours, or overnight.
A little history of cream cheese frosting
Wondering about the origins of cream cheese frosting? I always like to look up the history of foods! And this time, I got a funny surprise …
Turns out, cheesecakes date WAY back to Ancient Grecian times, about 700 B.C. — possibly food for the first Olympians.
Cream cheese itself was invented in America by adding more fat to a European staple, in about 1870. It was marketed to Jewish immigrants in the 20s to eat with their blintzes — and by 1940, bagels and cream cheese was an iconic food trend.
So when did cream cheese become a frosting? Oddly enough (here’s the funny part) — in 1933, The American Home magazine printed a recipe for Tomato Soup Cake (!!) with Cream Cheese Frosting. This cake was popular throughout the 30s, but now remains simply a canned-soup curiosity recipe for some. It was the Cream Cheese Frosting that really caught on, as we all know.
In the 1960s, Cream Cheese Frosting finally got paired up with Carrot Cake. Now we know — Cream Cheese Frosting also goes great with chocolate!