I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
How & Why to Use Fulvic Acid for WEIGHT LOSS describes why we need fulvic acid in our diet, and how adding it in can help with weight loss.
In this post we cover:
- What is fulvic acid
- How does fulvic acid make you feel
- Why do most people not get enough fulvic acid
- Why does fulvic acid help with weight loss
- How to add fulvic acid to the diet
- Which fulvic acid is best
Body weight is affected by many factors – including diet, genetic, psychological and environmental variables.
Fulvic acid’s unique compounds address these causes. Instead of being a new weight loss gimmick, it supports the body and mind for weight loss success.
What is fulvic acid
Fulvic acid is a yellow or brown naturally occurring compound found in soil, peat, coal and bodies of water such as streams or lakes.
Fulvic acid is created when plants and animals decompose over millennia.
When taken as a supplement, fulvic acid is usually in the form of a liquid. It’s dark brown in appearance and sold in bottles, dispensed with a dropper into drinking water.
Fulvic is almost tasteless, but if you taste it in a more concentrated form, it actually tastes a bit like soil.
Fulvic acid makes the elemental forms of minerals and vitamins more absorbable by complexing them into organic, ionic forms easily transported into and through membranes and cell walls.
Once the nutrients meld into the fulvic complex, they become bio-active and bio-available!
How does fulvic acid make you feel
The main two benefits I feel from taking fulvic acid are:
- more energy
- satiated after meals
Why do most people not get enough fulvic acid
Most Americans eat processed foods that lack nutrition. Fulvic acid is found in nutrient-dense foods, sometimes.
But before trying to fix the problem with a lot of kale, we need to understand that our soils now lack the fulvic acid they once had.
Our soils are no longer as rich in minerals as they were, due to the use of pesticides and synthetic fertilizers.
Wise gardeners often add fulvic and humic acids into their dirt to get a better yield of healthful vegetables. Without these amendments, the vegetables themselves are lacking in nutrition.
Most modern produce does not have the fulvic acid we need, and yet – it’s essential for our best health.
The solution is not just eating more vegetables. But, if you are an avid gardener and do want to create a soil rich in fulvic acid, that is certainly a good approach.
For most of us, that is not enough. Taking fulvic acid provides a concentrated supply of what our bodies need for nutrition – and thus, more energy and a better ability to detoxify.
Why does fulvic acid help with weight loss
Supports systems that affect weight loss
Fulvic acid works on the whole body wherever it’s needed — improving nerve function, weight management and glucose balance. (source)
Fulvic also supports proper gut biome for improved digestion and immune response. Both muscles and nerves benefit; thus, the cardiovascular system is supported. (source)
Lack of nutrients
While weight gain occurs for many reasons, one of the leading reasons is: Lack of nutrients stimulates the desire to eat more. (source)
For those who aren’t assimilating their nutrients well OR those who eat a standard American diet, the body is cued to keep eating to get the nutrition it needs.
By focusing on nutritious foods and taking fulvic acid, the body is able to better assimilate nutrition, leading to less food intake and weight loss.
Fulvic acid itself also includes over 70 trace minerals.
When it comes to self control to eat less, it’s hard for a reason!:
…eating can trigger the release of dopamine, a feel-good neurotransmitter in the brain. This internal chemical reward, in turn, increases the likelihood that the associated action will eventually become habitual through positive reinforcement conditioning. If activated by overeating, these neurochemical patterns can make the behavior tough to shake. (source)
When adopting new rituals, like a more intentional diet, supplements and exercise, it can take a few days (or longer) for the brain to adapt:
After someone dependent on a substance stops using it, however, it often takes time for depleted dopamine receptors to return to baseline levels.
As I discuss more below, decide on a new strict regimen for yourself, and find joy in your new lifestyle.
It’s a process, but fulvic acid supports that process.
Fulvic acid provides so much tangible energy (I can feel the difference significantly!), that it’s easier to find the motivation it takes to exercise.
As discussed here, going for regular walks and being active can be a key part of losing weight and keeping it off longterm.
Fulvic acid supports thyroid function – especially when taken with selenium, magnesium and zinc.
Those who are overweight due to thyroid issues may feel the benefit of adding fulvic when taking key thyroid supporting minerals.
A 2018 study on diabetes showed fulvic to be a promising source for preventing and improving diabetes and other chronic inflammatory diseases based in nutrient-deficient lifestyles. (source)
Read more about supporting your body with the Best Supplements for Diabetes here.
Detoxification for weight loss
One of the main contributing factors to today’s obesity epidemic is the toxins in our environment and bodies.
Plastics, manufactured ingredients in foods, pesticides and herbicides leave metabolic waste inside the body.
These toxins accumulate in fat tissue and can even trigger the body to produce more fat.
Fulvic is the tiniest and most complex natural water soluble substance on earth! – penetrating into cells to deliver nutrients and remove toxins.
Fulvic acid detoxifies the toxins we ingest as well as chemicals and metals we produce by metabolic waste.
You can read more about all of the reasons Why & How to Take Fulvic Acid here.
How to take fulvic acid for weight loss
If you choose the product I use, the company suggests: “Take once daily by mixing 1mL with 16 ounces of non-chlorinated water or your favorite beverage. We recommend distilled water.”
In general, take fulvic in one of a few ways:
- once or twice daily, morning and/or night
- in a glass of filtered water with each meal
- in any filtered water you drink, throughout the day
1mL is about 20 drops. Disperse these amidst your daily water however you wish. It is best to take minerals with food. And the water does need to be non-chlorinated.
But, it’s better to take fulvic acid than worry about doing it just right.
If it’s helpful, what I do is:
- put in my morning and evening water, when I take my other supplements, right before or after mealtime (but not directly before bed)
- also put other liquid minerals in my drinking water throughout the day
- This ensures I’m getting enough sodium and potassium and other liquid minerals, so my body can assimilate the hydration on a cellular level. (I talk more about this here.)
Because fulvic acid is energizing, some people find it best not to take right before bed.
Which fulvic acid is best
Choose a product stored in glass, not plastic, and sourced and processed with the highest standards.
I personally researched fulvic acids and found one called Advanced Fulvic Acid that I like best.
Free-form and chelated
Advanced’s formula is created to maximize effectiveness and potency by combining: both free-form fulvic acid and a chelated form.
The chelated form facilitates the efficient absorption of the 70+ trace minerals in the formula.
The free-form assists the absorption of the nutrients from the diet.
The sourcing of the fulvic and humic acids comes from a deposit rich in micronutrients in a location in the rural southern U.S.
The extraction process
Some of the cheaper products on the market use chemicals to extract the fulvic (sad irony). Advanced Fulvic uses a chemical-free extraction process with a reverse osmosis purified water system with stainless steel, and HDPE containers.
Each batch is third-party tested and a money-back guarantee is available.
The Lamar Method
So while I’d like to say the cheaper brands are fine, too, I think the transparency and quality of this company makes it a much better choice. (For any brand, make sure it’s 3rd party tested using the Lamar Method.)
Some testing methods, such as Colorimetric, put other naturally occurring constituents into the fulvic acid reading (like carbohydrates), resulting in a high but very misleading fulvic acid quantity.
Advanced Fulvic goes through rigorous testing. The gold standard is the Lamar Method. (sources 1, 2) The Lamar method established an accurate and reliable way to quantify humic acid (HA) and fulvic acid (FA) in raw ores and products.
Which brand fulvic acid to choose
The company I buy from (Coseva) works through distributors, so I purchased mine through a link I found on Facebook (in a wellness group).
If you want to buy Advanced Fulvic by Coseva, I became a distributor for my clients and readers, so you can buy through this link (and then you’ll need to click the Shop Now button). Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the sales page to see the 3-pack because there is big savings when you buy three bottles instead of one. I wish someone had told me the first time I purchased. (I make a small commission if you use my link. I would never recommend any product unless I took it myself and genuinely believed it to be significantly beneficial.)
There is actually a lot more I could say on choosing a quality product, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask in the Comments section below.
Other tips for weight loss
One of the most important keys for weight loss is readiness – or willingness.
A person whose health is suffering related to their weight is often more able to lose weight. The motivation is there: either fear of sickness or premature death, pain from a current sickness or the realization that being overweight isn’t healthy for that person.
Losing weight from the perspective of health is empowering and can be encouraging. This new life path can mean adding in dietary changes, supplements and do-able exercise.
The nice thing about fulvic is you don’t need to feel a certain way before you start taking it! Fulvic may help to diminish cravings.
If you’d like to add a few more practices to support this process, consider:
Walking for weight loss
- Going for 2 to 3 walks daily. It is better to go for short walks than no walks at all — or one long walk with a lot of sitting. Best of all is a couple of short walks after meals and one longer walk whenever you find the time.
- Walk before or after at least one of your meals, but preferably more than one.
- Avoid strenuous activity. Add in gentle regular walks, squats and lightweight lifting. Get up from any sitting you do, and stretch more often.
- Choose to eat one light meal and two medium size meals, or three medium size meals. Set yourself realistic portion sizes, decided ahead of time, and never change your habit once decided upon. (For example, when I eat soup or stew, I know that 2 ladle-fulls is the right amount for my belly. If it’s really delicious, and I eat more than that, I get too full. So I know my correct portion size is 2 ladle-fulls, no matter how good it tastes.)
- Limit yourself to 1 tablespoon of sweetener daily, maximum. On the whole, eliminate desserts. Sweetener might be on a healthy waffle, a bit in tea or used in a recipe.
- Portion control mindset: Are you eating big portions without realizing it? Consider fulvic acid and nutritious foods, with the goal of being satisfied with your food. Better quality, not more quantity, satisfies. Consider reducing portion sizes from what you’re used to eating, and focus on enjoying each bite.
- For some, portion size is less of an issue. Processed foods can cause weight gain even in moderate amounts. If you’re eating natural foods, you may not need to reduce your portion sizes.
- Don’t cheat on foods your body doesn’t like. For example, avoid dairy if it gives you a stomach ache.
- Instead of cheating with too much eating or unhealthy choices, choose instead:
- a cup of unsweetened hot herbal tea
- go for a walk around the block
- plan during your meal what you’re going to do directly after it, that doesn’t include more food or a snack – a short walk?, light exercises on a mat?, call a friend, journal…
- half a spoonful of minced ginger – This spicy treat helps you to feel satiated and supports digestion.
- brush your teeth right after your meal
- How many carbs does your body need – Find the right amount for you. Carbs should directly correlate with your activity level, unless you’re doing Keto. So, if you’re not very active (you walk 3 miles a day or less), you don’t need to eat low carb, but consider smaller portions of carbs, and not necessarily 3 times daily. Each person is unique, so find what works best for your body.
- Eat plenty of high quality meat, good fats and high fiber foods.
Find fulvic acid here. Choose the Shop Now button.
You can Pin this article here: