I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
A good stir fry makes everyone happy at dinner time. This Paleo, GAPS & Keto version is amazing because it features steak, but it’s still economical for families on a budget — which is most of us. Plus, you can add lots of extra veggies to save more and because they’re healthy! Serve on top of cauliflower rice for a perfect thrifty and delicious meal.
Firstly, I’m going to tell you a quick bit about skirt steak, because it’s an economical way to buy steak, and it’s delicious!
Our family of five spends between $0 and $15 nightly on meat. We spend no money at all on the nights we eat hunted venison or foraged wild salmon from our freezer. We spend up to $15 on the nights we eat fresh fish, pork chops or steak.
Skirt steak is one of the economical steaks we enjoy, well-suited to Mexican fajita-type preparations and stir fries: flash-in-the-pan, high heat cooking.
Skirt steak comes wrapped up like a spool of ribbon, or a cinnamon roll. Of the cut Wikipedia says, “Both the inside and outside skirt steak are the trimmed, boneless portion of the diaphragm muscle attached to the 6th through 12th ribs on the underside of the short plate.”
To prepare skirt steak, for optimum tenderness, you simply cut the roll in half and then flop one half to its flat side on a cutting board. Then, by slicing thinly, so you’re creating rainbow shapes, the meat is cut against its grain, rendering it more tender — a very smart butchering to enjoy more of the animal’s meat in the best possible way.
The result is an enjoyable cut known for its flavor. Some pieces tend to be very tender and others are chewier. We love it.
Secondly, you’ll need Cultured Teriyaki Sauce for this stir fry!
Cultured Teriyaki Sauce needs to be made ahead, but it’s easy and fast, so don’t be intimidated. This sauce is a true traditional food (it ferments overnight to become healthier and more flavorful), but it only takes sitting out on the counter overnight (one night!) to culture.
So you just need to plan one day in advance to make this recipe. The sauce recipe itself is made in the blender and takes about 10 minutes total.
Once you have the sauce made, this stir fry dinner is super fast to make! Making the sauce is fun, well worth it, and you’ll have some leftover for another dinner! (Find the Cultured Teriyaki Sauce recipe HERE.)
Skirt Steak Stir Fry
How to cook skirt steak? Cook over high heat, tossing the meat to cook it evenly and quickly. Do not overcook, about 5 to 8 minutes, until most of the pink is gone.
That’s why skirt steak is so well suited to a stir fry! Stir fries are already cooked quickly over high heat. This recipe is easy, fast and delicious, as well as being traditional and nourishing.
SKIRT STEAK STIR FRY
- large skillet or wok
- 2 red bell peppers sliced
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil toasted
- 1 green onions one bunch, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt divided
- 1-½ pounds skirt steak sliced (as seen in photos below)
- ¾ cup Cultured Teriyaki Sauce see link for recipe
- extra veggies! Add bok choy or other cabbage, plus broccoli or other favorites, to make this meal even healthier and more economical.
- Heat large empty skillet over high heat. Add toasted sesame oil. Then add sliced red bell pepper (and optional bok choy or other veggies).
- Add green onions and ½ teaspoon sea salt, reserving some green tips to garnish.
- Sauté over high heat 8-10 minutes, until wilted and charred in spots, but not burned or over-cooked. Reduce heat to medium-high if needed.
- Remove the veggies with a slotted spoon and add sliced skirt steak to pan with ½ tsp. sea salt.
- Cook over high heat, tossing the meat to cook it evenly and quickly. Do not overcook, about 5-8 minutes, until most of the pink is gone.
- Add the veggies back in.
- Add Cultured Teriyaki Sauce, to taste, about ¾ cup. (Use less sauce [as little as ½ cup] for Keto if desired. See nutritional data below.)
- Simmer very briefly and serve, topped with raw green onions.
- Serve with cauliflower rice, salad etc.
Here are some older photos 😉 of how to cut and cook skirt steak stir fry.
Have you enjoyed skirt steak? Find the Easy Overnight Teriyaki Sauce HERE.
Love and want more delicious, fast dinners that’re Paleo/Primal, Keto and GAPS? See these: