I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
Artichoke Feta Breakfast Casserole is the perfect main dish for breakfast, brunch or even dinner! It’s rich and super satisfying. It’s special, and it’s beautiful. And the prep time is only 20 minutes! It’s easy and no stress, with a short 40 minute bake time. Serve with sausages or bacon, a Paleo/Keto baked good, fresh fruit or sauteed spinach and you have a lovely feast with little effort. Or serve with just one side dish. This casserole is good, and it will deliver satisfaction.
Artichoke Feta Breakfast Casserole
Imagine: the very thick and creamy custard gets poured into a greased casserole dish and topped with artichoke hearts and feta, crumbled. The custard puffs up, turns golden; and the crusty top gives way to the creamiest, most delicious center.
It’s Paleo/Primal & Keto, made without grains. But there are two flour options: cassava flour! or for Keto and GAPS, coconut flour!
Paleo folks, if you haven’t worked with cassava flour yet, it’s a revelation. It contains prebiotics; so it’s great for colon health, feeding the good flora in your gut. I actually feel better the days I eat it. While still on the GAPS diet, but now phasing off, this is my favorite food that we’ve been able to add into our diet, a truly healthy complex carbohydrate. (Here’s where to get it.)
For GAPS and Keto folks, I continue to be SO so glad for coconut flour. It’s a no-fuss ingredient that always delivers!
Regarding the GAPS Diet version, this casserole is super rich (in a good way) and not super GAPS. But it can be made GAPS by following the specifications I list below! See the Recipe Notes.
Here’s the main dish that will please your intimate family and any cozy guests.
- 12 eggs pastured preferred
- 1 14 ounce can artichoke hearts packed in water, tough leaves removed, chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese pastured preferred, room temperature (see GAPS Diet note below in Recipe Notes)
- 8 ounces feta cheese pastured preferred, crumbled (use an aged cheese like gruyere, grated, for GAPS)
- 8 ounces jack cheese pastured preferred, broken or cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup cassava flour for Paleo version (see source above or below); for KETO and GAPS versions: use 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup butter , melted and cooled slightly, or preferred fat: tallow, ghee etc.
- 1/2 cup heavy cream pastured and raw preferred (use coconut cream for GAPS)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a large casserole dish or huge cast iron skillet.
- In a small bowl, sift together cassava OR coconut flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- Place the following ingredients into blender: eggs, cream cheese, sea salt, onion and garlic powder, and white pepper. Blend until mostly smooth, 10-15 seconds.
- Add cheddar cheese cubes, flour mixture, melted fat and cream. (We have a Blendtec blender and this quantity fits perfectly in the jar, for blending. But it is fairly full.) Blend again, briefly, about 8 seconds, until all ingredients are fully incorporated and the cheese cubes have been reduced to bits, but are not fully pureed.
- Pour creamy custard into greased casserole dish. Evenly distribute chopped artichoke hearts over its surface. Do the same with feta crumbles.
- Bake until edges are golden brown and center is just set but still moist, 40 minutes. Allow to rest 10 minutes before serving.
GAPS Diet Variation
- Cream cheese is not a GAPS Diet food. Substitute in 4 oz. jack cheese + 4 oz. coconut cream, in its place; or use probiotic cream cheese, like Nancy's brand.
- Cassava flour is not a GAPS Diet food, because it's starchy. Our family is now phasing off of GAPS and it does really well in our bodies at this stage. To make this recipe GAPS Diet friendly, sub in 1/4 cup coconut flour in place of the 1/2 cup cassava flour.
Find Otto's Cassava Flour HERE, (with free shipping).