I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
This dairy-free gravy is a love gift for my daughter who loves all things creamy and saucy. It’s also a love gift for you! It’s delicious and rich, great for a special brunch or dinner, ladled over my savory waffles. I’m big on savory waffles. I love the idea of them for dinner, easily and quickly cooked up on the waffle iron and poetic for a unique meal. The waffles are Paleo. The gravy is AIP and GAPS. Depending on your diet, make one or both recipes.
What are plantain waffles? Plantains provide a healthy starch and flour substitute in baked goods. Starches are not ideal for GAPS patients but are a healthy component for many other diets.
First, here’s the gravy recipe: sooo good!!
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk, full fat and organic
- 2 yellow onions, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped small
- 2 T. preferred fat- duck fat, coconut oil, ghee...
- 2 cloves garlic crushed or minced
- 1 inch nub of ginger, grated or minced
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. each: oregano, basil and parsley, dried
- 1/4 tsp. coriander
- 1/8 tsp. cloves
- Melt your fat in a large cast iron skillet, over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and sea salt, stirring occasionally until just wilted and starting to brown, 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover, stirring every 5-10 minutes, for 20 minutes total.
- Add the garlic, ginger and spices and saute an additional 5 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the coconut milk, deglazing the pan as you stir it in.
- Simmer, uncovered over medium-high heat, for 5 minutes more, reducing down the overall liquid.
- Turn off the heat.
- Spoon 1/2 the mixture into a blender and puree for 15 seconds.
- Stir the puree back into the remaining gravy in the pan and add the fresh cilantro, reserving some to garnish.
Optional garnishes include natural olives and minced raisins.
For an American-style traditional gravy, make the following changes:
- substitute fresh parsley or fried sage for the cilantro
- omit the fresh ginger
- substitute thyme and sage for the oregano and basil
- substitute white pepper for the cloves
And here’s the lovely savory waffle recipe!
- Place the peeled plantain into a high-powered blender. There will be 8 quarters.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, EXCEPT the chicken.
- Blend on medium-low speed until the ingredients are well mixed and totally smooth. Stop the motor as needed to break air bubbles by the blade. The batter will be thick.
- Fold the chicken into the batter with a spatula.
- Cook waffles on a greased waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions, keeping them warm in a 200 degree oven as needed.
These waffles are also great without the gravy, just eaten out of hand like a sandwich.
Cheers, Friends, Enjoy!!