Recommended Cooking Tools
If you’d like to furnish your kitchen with some soup-making resources, I share here the supplies I use often and consider to be the most important. The following products are made from good quality materials and built to last. I avoid plastics in most cases and lean toward glass, wood, ceramic and safe metals.
- stock pot
- large or small saucepans
- handheld colander spoon
- Instant Pot — 6 Quart or 8 Quart: Because there are different models, the buttons and abilities of the different machines will vary slightly. Please feel free to email me if the cookbook instructions are different than the model you have, and you can’t seem to figure out the adaptation. Hopefully, most differences will be intuitive.
- Instant Pot Steamer Basket — 6 Quart or 8 Quart
- Instant Pot Steam Boss
- slow cooker
- fine mesh strainers
- metal spatula
- serving spoon
- French press
- wooden spoon or spatula
- blender: This stainless steel container is compatible with the Vitamix base. This product is on my wish list too! (Update: We got it! 🙂 )
- hand blender (stainless steel): This product is nice for puréeing soup directly in the pot. Some hand (stick/immersion) blenders leak chlorinated paraffins, a type of toxic chemical. This model is one of twelve hand held blenders that was tested for this chemical. It was one of four that did not show leakage of chlorinated paraffins.
- spiralizer: I’ve tried three brands, and this is the only one that works well for me.
- slotted spoon
- food processor: This product is free of the problematic chemicals found in most kitchen appliances. European-made but still with a good price. This is one product I don’t use often myself, but I know it’s used by a lot of you to reduce cooking time and stress, so I wanted to provide a safe product recommendation.
Occasionally, specific ingredients can be hard to find. I’ve listed those harder-to-find or hard-to-choose ingredients here, where you can find links to the products.
- Organic ancho chili powder or dried whole ancho chiles
- Cajun seasoning
- Codonopsis root (organic)
- Perfect Supplements Collagen (Grass-finished and with no pesticide residue; use code BEAUTIFUL10 at check out for 10% off your entire order.)
- Cordyceps mushroom powder
- Basil and lemongrass essential oil
- Organic Harvest Foods’ Jalapeño Pepper Sauce
- Paleo protein powders one (egg white: Vanilla) and two (beef-based: Chocolate)
- Palm oil shortening (by Grain Brain)
- Perfect Supplements Bone Broth powder (In a pinch or when you’re traveling, better in a recipe than by itself.)
- Real fermented soy sauce
- Shiro Miso fermented miso paste
- Sour cream: For GAPS, use fully cultured sour cream or lactose-free sour cream in place of heavy cream. Nancy’s brand is fully cultured; Green Valley Organics is lactose-free.
- Sprouted lentils