AIP Gingerbread Cookies (Paleo, GF)
AIP Gingerbread Cookies are made with tiger nut flour. These simply perfect holiday cookies are so much fun to make and delicious to eat! Egg-free, nut-free, Paleo and Gluten-free.
Servings 15 cookies
- 1 cup tiger nut flour Break up any large clumps.
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or olive oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil , melted and then cooled
- 2 Tablespoons cassava flour Otto's or Bob's; do not use other brands, as they are too starchy
- 2 Tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 Tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons gelatin
- 1 teaspoon baking soda sifted
- 1 teaspoon ginger dried OR 2 Tablespoons freshly grated ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup + 3 Tablespoons arrowroot powder optional, use for shaped cookies; divided (do not combine the 1/2 cup and 3 T.)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together dry ingredients (only use the 1/2 cup arrowroot if making shaped, cut-out cookies. Omit the arrowroot completely if you're making simple flat round cookies.)
In 2-cup glass measuring cup or small bowl, combine wet ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Combine. (If you included arrowroot, it will be easier to combine by using an electric mixer.)
If you're making shaped, cut-out cookies, sprinkle 2 Tablespoons arrowroot on a work surface. Top with finished cookie dough. Use your hands to flatten and spread out the dough. Sprinkle with remaining arrowroot and roll out to about 1/4" thickness. (You don't need to be finicky or worried about doing any of this perfectly. The dough is easy to work with.)
Cut out shapes and transfer them to your prepared cookie sheet, leaving about 1" between dough edges.If you're not making shaped, cut-out cookies. Simply scoop batter into mounds on prepared cookie sheet. Space dough apart by about 2".
Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until puffed all over and set looking, especially around the edges.
Cool completely on rack. Then decorate if desired.
Calories: 153kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 117mg | Potassium: 28mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 1mg