Paleo Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (Keto, AIP, Vegan, GAPS)
Paleo Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream has the best flavor with everyone-loves-peppermint + shaved chocolate! This oh-so-creamy, yet dairy-free dessert is super delicious and hard to stop eating! Paleo, GAPS, AIP, Keto and Vegan. With Primal, Keto dairy variation.
Servings 5 servings
ice cream maker
- 2 small cans coconut milk full-fat, 13.5 oz. each, or 3-½ cups homemade high-fat coconut milk (See Notes section below for heavy cream version.)
- ⅔ cup liquid sweetener For Keto/Low Carb, use allulose. For Vegan, use pure maple syrup or agave. For Paleo, GAPS, use honey (or maple for Paleo).
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract , optional (The alcohol lowers the freezing temperature, allowing less sweetener and creating a creamier outcome.)
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon peppermint extract or to taste (brands vary in strength)
- ½ cup unsweetened or dark chocolate shavings (Use your favorite unsweetened or sweetened chocolate bar and a box grater. Grate the bar on the finer holes until you have ½ a cup of shavings. For AIP, use a carob bar, like this.)
Place coconut milk, honey (or low carb sweetener/maple syrup) and peppermint extract in a blender. Purée until sweetener dissolves, scraping down sides, if necessary, about 50 seconds.
Freeze in ice cream maker, according to manufacturer’s instructions. When the mix is mostly frozen, but about 5 minutes from being fully frozen, add shaved chocolate.
When ice cream is fully frozen and chocolate is incorporated, serve, or transfer to freezer container to freeze.
Dairy version of this recipe
- 2 cups heavy cream (or probiotic sour cream for GAPS)
- 1-¼ cups water
- ⅔ cup pure maple syrup (or honey for GAPS OR this allulose for Keto)
- ½ cup chocolate shavings (See main recipe for details on which chocolate bar to choose. Use carob bar for AIP, like this.)
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon peppermint extract, to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- optional: 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract (This increases the scoop-ability of the ice cream when it's frozen.)
- Reserve the chocolate shavings to one side. Hand-whisk the remaining ingredients together until the sweetener is fully dissolved or incorporated into the cream base.
- Freeze in ice cream maker, according to manufacturer’s instructions. When the mix is mostly frozen, but about 5 minutes from being fully frozen, add shaved chocolate.
- Finish freezing. Serve, or freeze in storage container until ready to scoop.
The Paleo version of this recipe has 36g carbs per serving. The nutritional data below reflects the Keto version of this recipe.
Calories: 305kcal | Carbohydrates: 2.8g | Protein: 2.1g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 70mg | Potassium: 210mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2.8g | Vitamin C: 1mg