These Paleo Pumpkin Pancakes are that classic pumpkin pancake recipe you've been looking for — large, tender-cakey and moist, like you remember, but better. Made with cassava flour and high in protein, these favorites are healthy and made quickly in the blender.
Servings 3 servings
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup pumpkin canned (organic and BPA-free lining) or leftover winter squash
- 1/2 cup cassava flour Otto's, see link below
- 1/4 cup collagen Perfect brand preferred, see link below for discount code
- 1/4 cup milk of choice (OR use soured milk if you want to make a sourdough batter; then let the batter sit out for 4 hours, then in the fridge for 2-5 days)
- 1/4 cup butter melted, or melted lard, melted coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1 Tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda , sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Place eggs in blender. Add pumpkin, milk, honey, cooled fat (if melted first). Add collagen, cassava, sifted baking soda and sea salt. Blend for 5-10 seconds. Scrape sides of blender. Blend 2-3 seconds more.
Heat griddle or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tablespoon high heat fat: lard, butter, ghee or avocado oil. Pour batter into desired size pancake and reduce heat to low. Wait until edges dry out a bit and bubbles appear all over the wobbly-looking surface of raw batter, about 4-5 minutes. Flip and cook again on second side until done, about 2 minutes more.
Finish cooking all pancakes, adding more fat to pan occasionally, (stacking them on a plate and layering with butter and maple syrup as you go, if desired). Batter will make 6 good-sized (pretty big) pancakes, enough to feed 3. Or make smaller pancakes if preferred.
Here's where to buy Otto's Cassava Flour. I buy 20 lbs. at a time, hehe! GOOD stuff! Free shipping, family-owned small business. :)
Here's where to buy Perfect Collagen. They give 10% off to Eat Beautiful readers. :) Use the coupon code BEAUTIFUL10 at checkout.
Pumpkin Spice Variation
Double the recipe + Sourdough option
Double the recipe for a larger crowd. You can also make this batter ahead of time, so the prep. is easy when life is busy. (This works especially well if you use soured milk, because it makes the batter into a mild sourdough over time, which reduces phytic acid, making everything about the pancake more nutritious.)
- Add to the blender 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, 1/4 teaspoon each: allspice, cloves and nutmeg
Calories: 399kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 261mg | Sodium: 664mg | Potassium: 174mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 2470IU | Vitamin C: 2.7mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 2.3mg