Stabilized Whipped Cream (refined sugar-free; uses stevia and/or honey)
Stabilized Whipped Cream is a handy topping — wonderful for whipped cream that needs to last without wilting: frosting cakes, cupcakes or pies and more!
Servings 10 servings
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream ; use fully cultured sour cream for GAPS diet
- 1/4 cup filtered water room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey optional, or pure maple syrup; for Keto: use low carb liquid sweetener or just stevia to taste
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- extract options — 1/8 tsp. peppermint oil (not EO) , citrus oil, or 1 tsp. vanilla extract (the strength of different peppermint oil brands will vary; so start with 1/8 tsp., to taste and add more if needed)
- flavor variations - use Matcha green tea powder dissolved in the water, 1-2 tsp., to taste; strong, black coffee in place of the water with 1 T. instant espresso powder added; a favorite liqueur in place of the water; or whisk 1 T. cocoa into the water until it's fully dissolved; 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Pour the water into a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin evenly over its surface.
Over low heat constantly stir the water until it begins to steam and the gelatin becomes clear and fully dissolved. Do not simmer. Add optional sweetener and stir briefly. Set aside.
Pour cream into a chilled bowl or food processor.
Using a hand-held mixer or food processor, beat the cream just until the soft peaks begin to form; times will vary depending on your equipment, up to 3 to 4 minutes with a hand-held mixer. (For GAPS version, whip sour cream until it's loose (not stiff from the tub), about 20 seconds.)
When soft peaks are forming and the whole mass is happily volumizing, slowly pour the gelatin water in at one side of your bowl, whisking the stream of liquid into the body of your rising cream.
Stop beating the cream when it is whipped beautifully, and before it becomes butter.
It is now ready to use on top of pie, layered in parfaits etc. Or chill it for a short period to stiffen it a bit more for a purpose like piping it.
Which gelatin to use
I am excited to share Perfect Supplements' Gelatin. It's my favorite gelatin because of its grass-fed sourcing. They're an excellent company that fully discloses where and how (100% of the time!) their cows roam on green pastures, and they even test for pesticide residue. (Use code BEAUTIFUL10 at check out for 10% off your entire order.)
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 166kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 65mg | Sodium: 19mg | Potassium: 36mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 700IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 31mg