Honey Spice Lassi
This nutritious beverage aids digestion when eaten alongside a meal. Also a wonderful snack. With variations (including non-dairy), this healthy treat is perfect for Paleo, Primal, GAPS, AIP, Whole30, Keto, Low Carb and Vegan diets. Naturally gluten-free and full of probiotics.
Servings 4 servings
- 2 ½ cups yogurt or kefir, fully cultured OR non-dairy yogurt for AIP, Vegan, Whole30 (see VAD version in Recipe Notes)
- 1/4 cup filtered water and more, as needed, to create a pourable texture
- 2 Tablespoons honey (optional), or maple syrup for Vegan, 1 to 2 softened dates for Whole30 (Place dried dates in hot water for 10 minutes prior to using, or soak them in room temperature water overnight.) (See Keto version in Recipe Notes.)
- 1 heaping Tablespoon fresh ginger root , freshly grated or minced (peeling the ginger isn't necessary)
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg , and more to garnish (omit for AIP)
- to taste stevia or monkfruit (optional, omit for AIP and Whole30)
Keto, Low Carb and VAD versions
- To make this recipe Keto/Low Carb, use your favorite liquid low carb sweetener of choice (this one's a prebiotic) in place of honey. The rest of the recipe stays the same. 7g net carbs in this recipe with a low carb sweetener used in place of honey.
- For VAD, make a homemade nut yogurt from VAD-compliant nuts, such as hazelnuts, macadamia nuts or pine nuts. Proceed with the recipe above, using Ceylon cinnamon.
Calories: 126kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 71mg | Potassium: 237mg | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 152IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 185mg | Iron: 1mg