Chinese Beef Short Ribs
Chinese Beef Short Ribs are easy-to-make comfort food. Use your crock pot or Instant Pot and only 10 minutes of labor for this delicious meal. Paleo, Keto, Low Carb and GAPS
- 4-4.5 pounds beef short ribs cut in 4"- 6" lengths (usually this is already done by the butcher)
- 1 cup bone broth
- 1/3 cup soy sauce (real long-fermented) or 2/3 cup coconut amino acids for Paleo and GAPS
- 20 drops monk fruit liquid , or more to taste, for Keto and Low Carb OR 1/3 cup honey for Paleo and GAPS diet (or preferred liquid low carb sweetener)
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil needs to be "toasted"
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger , freshly grated or minced
- 10 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
Place short ribs into crock pot. Top with all remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Serve.
For an easy vegetable side dish, bake winter squash for Paleo and GAPS (such as butternut or kabocha) until very tender OR roast/steam cauliflower for Keto and Low Carb; add enough of the finished Chinese cooking sauce to create a mashed potato consistency by puréeing in food processor, high powered blender or by mashing and stirring by hand. Serve ribs over mashed/puréed squash/cauli with a bit of sauce poured over all. Also add a side of quickly sautéed or roasted greens (broccoli, Brussels sprouts, spinach or collards) to make the plate pretty and complete.
See Recipe notes for Instant Pot instructions.
To Cook in Instant Pot
- Add all ingredients to insert. Put on lid and seal.
- Set Instant Pot on “Stew/Meat.”
- The IP will automatically set itself for 35 minutes on high pressure.
- Make sure steam valve is closed.
- The Instant Pot will automatically switch over to Warm when the cooking time has elapsed. Allow IP to release pressure on its own slowly, about 45 minutes.
- Carefully open steam valve, then lid.
- Serve. Or purée some of the sauce with cooked winter squash or cauliflower (Keto/low carb), to make an easy and delicious side dish.
Calories: 517kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 45g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 130mg | Sodium: 880mg | Potassium: 871mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 2.1mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 5.7mg