Sautéed Caramelized Pears
A special way to heighten pears' natural sweetness is to sauté and caramelize them!
Servings 4 servings
- 2 large Bartlett pears a bit under-ripe, peeled and sliced (or use peeled Granny Smith apples for lower carbs)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream preferably raw (or coconut cream can be used)
- 1/4 cup butter preferably pasture-raised, (or coconut oil, ghee or lard)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or favorite liquid low carb sweetener for low carb version
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
Melt butter in large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add pears and sea salt. Sauté until pears begin to brown and soften a bit, about 8-10 minutes.
Reduce heat to low. Add maple syrup (or liquid low carb sweetener), stirring to coat. (Be careful; the pan's contents will sizzle and steam a bit.) Add vanilla. Add cream and de-glaze the pan, using the steam and your spatula to scrape up any bits that are stuck to the pan. Stir in bits, and turn off heat.
Garnish bread pudding with pears and sauce.
The following Nutritional Facts are for the Keto and Low Carb version of this recipe, using Granny Smith apples and low carb liquid sweetener.
Calories: 285kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 71mg | Sodium: 187mg | Potassium: 137mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 825IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 0.2mg