Keto Coconut Flour Waffles (nut-free, GAPS, Paleo, low-carb)
High in protein and good fats, Keto Coconut Flour waffles are healthy enough for every day and versatile enough to enjoy any meal of the day.
Servings 4 large waffles, or 8 smaller ones
- 8 eggs
- 8 ounces cream cheese , softened (OR see Recipe Notes for Paleo/GAPS version if you don't digest cream cheese well)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 Tablespoons low carb sweetener for Keto, maple sugar/coconut sugar for Paleo, and omit for GAPS
- 2 Tablespoons butter , melted and cooled (omit this ingredient if making the Paleo/GAPS version below in Recipe Notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda , sifted (optionally, omit for GAPS)
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 15 drops liquid stevia or 1/16 teaspoon powdered stevia (or less, to taste)
If eating immediately, plug in waffle iron to preheat. Or make waffle batter ahead of time, and refrigerate batter until ready to use. It keeps well in the fridge for several days.
Place all ingredients in a high-powdered blender and purée until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides once with a rubber spatula, as necessary.
Pour the batter into the waffle iron, filling the hot plate only 2/3 full (batter will expand a lot), and cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Top with butter and berries. (Or make a simple berry sauce by combining berries in saucepan with a small amount of water and stevia. Heat and serve.)
Paleo/GAPS Diet Variation (no cream cheese)
Cauliflower rice helps to make the texture of these waffles just right. I buy frozen cauliflower rice, simmer it for 10 minutes (in 1-1/2 cups water); then I strain it in a fine mesh colander. You can use any cooked cauli rice; just pack it into your 1/2 cup measuring cup to measure.
Follow the instructions above, but add in the two ingredients listed here.
(You'll also see above to omit the cream cheese, and omit the extra butter 2 T. butter listed in the original recipe.)
- In place of cream cheese: Use 3/4 cup unsalted butter or ghee, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/2 cup cauliflower rice, cooked and strained; pack it in the measuring cup to measure
Find the waffle iron I use and love here. It's non-stick, with a ceramic coating, and a great price.
Calories: 194kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 327mg | Sodium: 235mg | Potassium: 181mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 475IU | Vitamin C: 9.7mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 2mg