Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes (Keto, Paleo)
Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes are Keto, Paleo, GAPS and Low Carb, with just slight variations for each diet. The chocolate cupcakes are SUPER moist! and good!, and you'll LOVE the swirl frosting!
Servings 8 cupcakes
Chocolate Cupcakes (dairy-free)
- 3/4 cup coconut butter warm
- 2/3 cup sweetener of choice Monkfruit Sweetener (see link below in Recipe Notes or preferred low-carb sweetener) works for Keto, honey for GAPS/Paleo, coconut sugar/maple syrup also work for Paleo
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted and warm, or other liquid fat: melted warm butter/ghee, melted warm lard, avocado oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder fair trade, see Recipe Notes for link to good cocoa
- 2 eggs room temperature (not cold); you can do this by placing cold eggs in a glass with hot tap water for 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup coconut milk full fat, warm (not cold), or full fat dairy raw milk, if tolerated
- 1 teaspoon gelatin see link in Recipe Notes
- 1 teaspoon peppermint oil optional (You can make the cupcakes plain chocolate if you wish.)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda , sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Chocolate Mint Swirl Frosting (contains dairy)
- 1 cup butter room temperature (2 sticks)
- 4 ounces cream cheese or chevre (pour off any liquid), room temperature; okay to replace with butter for GAPS
- 1/3 cup sweetener of choice: confectioners Swerve for Keto (or stevia, to taste), honey for GAPS, honey or maple syrup for Primal
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder fair trade, see Recipe Notes
- 1 teaspoon peppermint oil see Recipe Notes; brands vary in intensity, so see Recipe Notes for brand or taste for quantity if using a different brand
- 1/2 teaspoon spirulina (optional) see Recipe Notes OR use beet powder or natural coloring for pink frosting
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Place liners in muffin pans. Set aside.
Place warm and room temperature (no cold) liquid ingredients in large bowl and mix: coconut butter, (sweetener if doing GAPS or maple syrup variation), melted coconut oil, eggs, full fat milk and optional peppermint oil.
In medium size bowl, stir together dry ingredients: sweetener (if doing Keto or coconut sugar version), cocoa powder, coconut flour, gelatin, baking soda and sea salt.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Stir to combine; do not over-mix. Scoop about 2 ounces batter into each muffin slot.
Bake in preheated oven 25 minutes. Test for doneness with toothpick; look for moist crumbs adhering. Remove from oven. Cool.
Chocolate Mint Swirl Frosting
Place in large mixing bowl: room temperature butter and room temperature cream cheese. Use mixer on high speed to beat together well, until texture is lightened, about 30 seconds.
Add sweetener of choice and continue to beat until well incorporated.
Add peppermint oil and optioanl spirulina. Mix again until fully incorporated. Scoop half or slightly less than half the frosting into half (taking care to keep it to one side) of a pastry bag (or fully into one pastry bag if you wish to nest 2 full pastry bags inside a third pastry bag to create the swirl).
Add cocoa to frosting bowl. Beat to mix, until fully incorporated. Fill second half side of pastry bag with chocolate frosting; (or fill second pastry bag with chocolate frosting).
Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes. Serve!
Find Monkfruit Sweetener HERE.
Find fair trade cocoa powder HERE.
Find organic peppermint oil HERE.
Find sustainable gelatin HERE. Enter code BEAUTIFUL10 at checkout for 10% off your entire order.
Find sustainable spirulina HERE.
Calories: 510kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 52g | Saturated Fat: 34g | Cholesterol: 118mg | Sodium: 421mg | Potassium: 77mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 959IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 1mg