How to Make Chicory "Coffee"- 1 ingredient, herbal, 5 minutes, prebiotics! (Keto, AIP)
Chicory Coffee is herbal, but tastes rich, dark and delicious, like real coffee. A great source of prebiotics, chicory is actually good for the gut in addition to being caffeine-free, low carb and even AIP-friendly. Just 1 ingredient is needed for this perfect hot cup.
Servings 1 servings
- 1 Tablespoon chicory root roasted and ground, see Recipe notes below for sourcing
- 2 cups filtered water
Place water into small saucepan and bring to simmer. While it heats add chicory either to a French press -or- to the pot with water.
When water comes to a boil, turn off heat and pour it into French press. Alternately allow the chicory root to steep in the pot. Steep for 5 minutes.
Pour through mesh strainer into mug. Sweeten and/or add something creamy, as desired; or drink black.
See Recipe notes below for variations.
Find bulk chicory root here.
- "Herbal Coffee"~ Add 1 Tablespoon roasted, ground dandelion root to the hot water, to steep with the chicory. (You can find ground dandelion root here.)
- "Bulletproof"~ Make it "bulletproof" by placing the finished "coffee" in the blender. Add: 1 Tablespoon MCT oil, 1 Tablespoon coconut oil (get 10% off at check out with code BEAUTIFUL10) (or ghee, if tolerated), and either stevia to taste for Keto or 2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup, if desired, for Paleo/AIP. I also like to add 1 Tablespoon gelatin. Blend using caution, starting at the blender's lowest speed; then increase to medium speed for 12 seconds.
- "Horchata"~ Blend in 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 Tablespoon coconut cream, and 1 Tablespoon gelatin or collagen. Blend using caution, starting at the blender's lowest speed; then increase to medium speed for 12 seconds.
- "Mocha"~ Blend in 1 Tablespoon toasted carob for AIP or fair trade cocoa powder for Keto, and either stevia to taste for Keto or 2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup for Paleo/AIP, 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract, and a pinch of sea salt. I also like to add 2 Tablespoons fat of choice (coconut oil, butter or ghee) and 1 Tablespoon gelatin. Blend using caution, starting at the blender's lowest speed; then increase to medium speed for 12 seconds.
Calories: 5kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Sodium: 24mg | Potassium: 20mg | Vitamin A: 1IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 17mg