Paleo & AIP Pumpkin Scones (egg-free, nut-free)
Paleo & AIP Pumpkin Scones have a fabulous crunchy-scone exterior and soft tender-scone middle. With pumpkin and fall spices, you'll love this easy to assemble classic baked good treat. Also Gluten-free, egg-free, nut-free and dairy-free.
Servings 6 scones
- 1-¼ cups tiger nut flour sift if it's super clumpy or break up any clumps with the back of a spoon
- ½ cup arrowroot + 1 Tablespoon extra on which to pat down and form the dough
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- ¼ cup maple syrup room temperature
- 3 Tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2 Tablespoons coconut cream warm slightly if it's hard
- 2 Tablespoons canned pumpkin
- 1 Tablespoon gelatin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda sifted
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- Optional: 1 Tablespoon maple sugar + 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon to sprinkle the surface before baking, optional
Preheat oven to 325° Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Stir together all of the dry ingredients in one big mixing bowl: tiger nut flour, arrowroot, tapioca flour, gelatin, spices, baking soda and sea salt.
In a Pyrex measuring dish or small bowl, combine the wet ingredients: melted fat, warmed coconut cream, pumpkin and liquid sweetener. Stir together, and make sure the coconut cream mixes in.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix the dough with hand held beaters on medium speed (or use an upright mixer if you prefer) until all of the ingredients are equally incorporated, without over-mixing.
Turn the dough out onto a surface dusted with 1 Tablespoon arrowroot powder. Press and form it into a nice disc shape, about 1"+ tall and 8 or so inches in diameter. Cut into 6 equal wedges (cut straight down on the dough with a long sharp knife that's dusted with arrowroot). Optional: Sprinkle with maple sugar-cinnamon topping.
Transfer to parchment lined baking sheet, spacing the scones apart, as shown in the photo below. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, until golden brown and bursting/cracked in places.
Allow to cool. Enjoy!
Sodium: 191mg | Calcium: 13mg | Vitamin C: 1mg | Vitamin A: 779IU | Sugar: 10g | Fiber: 16g | Potassium: 192mg | Calories: 281kcal | Saturated Fat: 9g | Fat: 16g | Protein: 3g | Carbohydrates: 39g | Iron: 1mg