Easy Dump & Bake GENERAL TSO’S CHICKEN (Paleo and AIP)
Easy Dump & Bake GENERAL TSO’S CHICKEN is super fast to assemble and cook. An easy homemade version of the famous Chinese takeout, this is the Paleo and AIP version! Chicken breast, broccoli and the quick sauce are baked together in a casserole dish to make a no-fuss, healthy and fresh weeknight meal!
Servings 4 servings
- 3 pounds chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) or thighs, if preferred
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar, if preferred (not for AIP)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 to 4 Tablespoons fresh ginger grated or minced (Don't omit this ingredient. It's very important for creating a flavorful sauce. Use more for a slightly spicier finish.)
- 2 Tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 Tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 Tablespoon ketchup (nightshade-free) or Paleo ketchup; for AIP, fine to use No-Tomato Sauce if preferred
- 2 teaspoons dried ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 2 teaspoons sriracha (optional) omit for AIP
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- fat for greasing the casserole dish I used bacon fat. You may also use another animal fat, coconut oil or for non-AIP, toasted sesame oil.
Preheat oven to 425° Fahrenheit. Grease a 9x13 baking dish (or similar), and set aside.
Chop chicken breasts into bite-size pieces. Spread them out in the prepared baking dish. (There is no need to toss them in the fat.) Bake 10 minutes.
While chicken bakes, combine sauce ingredients in a glass measuring dish or bowl: apple cider vinegar, coconut sugar, fresh ginger, coconut aminos, tapioca, ketchup, dried ginger, fresh garlic and sea salt. Whisk them together.
Remove from oven. The chicken pieces will have cooked together to some extent. That's okay. Add chopped broccoli and freshly whisked sauce (this ensures the tapioca is evenly incorporated into the sauce and hasn't settled). Fold together the ingredients, separating the chicken pieces as needed while stirring, and spread them out again evenly in the baking dish. Return the baking dish to the oven.
Bake 10 more minutes, or until chicken is cooked through to the center (with an internal temperature of 165ºF, if you wish to check). The sauce will now be nicely thickened. With 2 large spoons, toss all of the ingredients together, causing the sauce to coat the meat and broccoli with an appealing glaze.
Serve with cauliflower rice or white rice (for non-Paleo/AIP) and an optional additional veggie like roasted or sautéed asparagus. Optional: Garnish with sliced scallions.
Calories: 492kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 75g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 218mg | Sodium: 1110mg | Potassium: 1585mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 672IU | Vitamin C: 87mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 2mg