AIP Cranberry Muffins (Paleo, GF)
AIP Cranberry Muffins are wonderful year round, using fresh or frozen cranberries. Accent with orange rind or oil if you like. Top with optional crumb topping. Enjoy for a special breakfast treat, with afternoon tea or alongside any meal, including soup. Sweet, tart and special + nutrient-dense. This recipe is AIP, Paleo, Gluten-free, which includes egg-free, nut-free and dairy-free.
Servings 6 muffins (or 4 large muffins)
- ¾ cup cassava flour Otto's or Bob's brands (other brands will not work because they are too starchy)
- ⅓ cup coconut oil or lard, melted and cooled slightly
- ⅓ cup coconut milk or non-dairy milk of choice
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar or maple sugar
- ¼ cup collagen see link and DISCOUNT code below in Recipe Notes
- 3 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon gelatin see link and DISCOUNT code below in Recipe Notes
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda sifted
- ½ teaspoon orange oil optional; or 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup cranberries frozen or fresh, chopped roughly
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line muffin pan with liners or paper muffin cups (a lot of muffin cups stick, so spray with coconut oil spray, as needed). Set aside.
In large bowl, combine dry ingredients: cassava flour, coconut sugar, collagen, coconut flour, gelatin, baking soda and sea salt.
In medium bowl, combine wet ingredients: fat of choice, coconut milk, water and apple cider vinegar. (If you wish to add an orange flavor to your muffins, include the orange oil with this step.)
Add wet ingredients, including cranberries, to dry ingredients and stir to combine.
Fill prepared muffin pan with batter. (See Crumb Topping option below, if desired, in recipe Notes.) If not using Crumb Topping: Wet your fingers with water to pat batter together and smooth the tops of the muffins. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 minutes for 4 large muffins or 20 minutes for 6 smaller muffins.
You can find collagen peptides HERE. (Enter code BEAUTIFUL10 at checkout for 10% off your order.)
You can find grass-fed and pesticide-free gelatin HERE. (Enter code BEAUTIFUL10 at checkout for 10% off your order.)
Coconut sugar HERE.
Optional Crumb Topping
- 1 cup cassava flour
- ½ cup lard or palm shortening (room temperature)
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup ice water
- ½ teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- In bowl of food processor (or use a pastry cutter and large bowl), combine cassava flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and sea salt.
- Add fat of choice, and pulse to combine, until small clumps form.
- Sprinkle ice water over all, and pulse again to form crumb topping. (Do not over-mix or topping will clump together and form a dough.)
- Top muffins with crumble, pressing it into the batter slightly. (Reserve any extra in a jar in the freezer or fridge for your next batch.) Bake as instructed above.
Calories: 265kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Sodium: 248mg | Potassium: 28mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 1mg