Tiger Nut Flour Pie Crust (Paleo, AIP, GF, Vegan)
Tiger Nut Flour Pie Crust is a shortbread cookie style crust that you press into the pan before baking (no rolling out). This recipe is gluten-free and great for no-bake fillings or fillings that only need a short cooking time.
Servings 8 servings
pie plate (If you use a deep 9" pie plate, the main crust recipe below will not reach the top of the edges when pressed into place. For more crust to fill a deep pie plate, see the Recipe Notes section below which gives the Larger Pie Crust recipe.)
- 1 cup + 3 Tablespoons tiger nut flour (Sift before measuring if you want to; this flour is often clumpy.)
- ⅓ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon coconut oil , ghee or lard, (melted and cooled slightly) (Ghee is not allowed on the initial stages of AIP; it is a reintroduction food.)
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon maple sugar or coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Whisk dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl: tiger nut flour, tapioca flour, maple sugar and sea salt. If there are any clumps of tiger nut flour, smash and mix them in.
Using handheld electric beaters (or upright mixer), add fat until well incorporated. Add water and mix again.
Press into pie plate. Prick all over with tines of a fork.
To blind-bake (fully bake then fill): Bake 15 to 18. Top edges will be dark, but not too dark. Bottom will be golden and look light in texture.To use later: Cover well, and freeze until ready to use. Then defrost in fridge overnight before baking.
Larger Pie Crust recipe
If you need your Tiger Nut Flour Pie Crust to reach fully up the sides to the top edges of a 9" deep pie plate, use the quantities below; then proceed with the recipe instructions above:
- 1-½ cups + 2 Tablespoons tiger nut flour
- ⅓ cup + 3 Tablespoons tapioca flour
- ½ cup coconut oil (or preferred fat)
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons maple sugar or coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
Calories: 92kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 73mg | Potassium: 123mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 3g | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 1mg