Keto Apple Cake with Coconut Flour (nut-free)
Keto Apple Cake with Coconut Flour is utterly moist, tender, sweet and delicious! Nut-free, Gluten-free and Primal, this cake is such a fun fall and winter treat, but also great year round. The crumb topping makes the cake extra special.
Servings 10 servings
9" x 9" square pan, 9" round pan or use a leakproof cheesecake pan if you want to serve the cake whole on a cake plate so it unmolds easily without being turned upside down.
electric beaters (or mix by hand)
- 4 large eggs ideally at room temperature (if you use cold eggs, your batter will look more curdled but will bake up fine)
- 1 cup coconut cream melted if solid and cooled to room temperature, or heavy cream
- 1 cup erythritol (the brown sugar version is preferred, but not necessary) granulated (OR coconut sugar/maple sugar for Primal)
- 3/4 cup zucchini , peeled and diced, for Keto/Low Carb; for Primal: diced apple
- 2/3 cup + 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 2 ounces cream cheese 1/4 cup, room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon molasses (does not add much in the way of carbs at all!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- 1 teaspoon apple extract optional (ideal for the Keto/Low Carb version of this recipe that uses zucchini)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup coconut cream warm or soft room temperature, or heavy cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sweetener: erythritol for Keto/Low Carb OR maple sugar/coconut sugar for Primal and Gluten-free
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
In medium-small size bowl, stir together the dry ingredients. With a fork, smash and stir the coconut cream in, until the mixture is fully mixed and evenly crumbly. (It will be kind of pasty, not fully crumbly.) Set aside.
Keto Apple Cake with Coconut Flour
Combine coconut flour, cinnamon, baking soda and sea salt in small mixing bowl.
In large mixing bowl, beat together butter and cream cheese, for 20 to 30 seconds. Add sweetener and beat again until mixed in well, about 20 to 30 seconds. Next, add coconut cream, molasses, vanilla and optional apple extract, and mix again until incorporated, about 20 seconds.
Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Also add diced zucchini (or apple) and eggs. Use electric beaters on lowest speed to mix briefly but completely. Don't over-mix. Use a spatula to fold in and scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl as well.
Scrape into prepared pan. Using your fingers, crumble the crumb topping evenly over the surface. (Shown below in square dish.)
Bake until golden brown and slightly puffed in the middle, about 35 minutes, depending on pan size. A toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean or with a couple crumbs adhering. Cool in the pan on a rack for about 15 minutes if you want to serve it warm. Otherwise, cool completely. (Round cake [pan] shown below cooling. Note: The photo below also shows this cake without the crumb topping, so the cake can be layered with frosting and served as a layer cake.)
Calories: 242kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 88mg | Sodium: 233mg | Potassium: 139mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 405IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 1mg