Seven Layer Magic Cookie Bars — Keto, Low Carb and Paleo
Fair Trade chocolate chips, homemade easy caramel, nuts and shaved dried coconut, you’ll LOVE the same classic flavors but feel better about them. Also, look forward to a nutty, grain-free shortbread crust! This festive treat can be made Keto, Low Carb or Paleo.
Servings 24 bars
- 1-1/3 cups macadamia nuts flour (or walnut flour, pulse nuts in food processor) or use blanched almond flour
- 1 cup butter (melted and cooled slightly, or coconut oil for dairy-free)
- 2/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup Swerve (Swerve for Keto/Low Carb; coconut sugar for Paleo)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or coconut cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 Tablespoons collagen peptides (see link and discount code in Recipe Notes)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (sifted)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Sweetened Condensed Milk/Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream or coconut cream
- 3/4 cup Swerve Brown Sugar (or coconut sugar for Paleo)
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1-1/4 cups + 2 Tablespoons pecan pieces
- 1-1/4 cups dried coconut (unsweetened)
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons low carb chocolate chips (Use Lily's for Keto/Low Carb, use Fair Trade Paleo or standard chips according to dietary choices; see Recipe Notes for links and tips on the best chocolate chips)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
In large metal bowl combine dry crust ingredients: nut flour, sweetener, coconut flour, collagen, baking soda and sea salt. Mix together well.
In a small bowl combine mostly cooled butter, cream, egg yolks and apple cider vinegar. Add liquids to flours. Use hand held mixer or a fork to thoroughly combine ingredients.
Spread and press crust ingredients over the bottom of 9" by 13" pan or casserole dish. (It will be sticky like cookie dough.) Wet four fingers of one hand to pat dough into pan and prevent sticking.
Bake in preheated oven 15-20 minutes. (Walnut-based crusts burn more easily, so watch closely. If the top of the crust burns a bit, it will not affect the crust's overall outcome.) While it bakes, make the condensed milk.
Sweetened Condensed Milk
Place cream in heavy bottomed saucepan. Add sweetener. Heat over high heat, stirring the whole time until the sweetener is fully dissolved and cream is steaming hot but not yet simmering. Reduce heat to medium. Do not stir anymore.
Keto, Low Carb version with Swerve: Allow cream to fast simmer/slow boil 14 minutes. Paleo version with coconut sugar: Allow cream to fast simmer/slow boil 8 minutes. Remove from heat, and use within 5-10 minutes. Do not make ahead, because it will set up and does not reheat well.
Sprinkle 1-1/4 cups pecans over surface of baked crust. Top with 1/2 cup chocolate chips. When sweetened condensed milk has cooled 5-10 minutes max, pour it over the pecans and chocolate chips. Top with shredded coconut and press down lightly on coconut. Top with remaining 2 Tablespoons pecans and 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons chocolate chips (placing these chocolate chips on top prevents all of the chocolate chips from melting under the hot caramel).
Allow to cool to room temperature, about 2-3 hours. Cut into 24 bars if moderating carbs, or larger pieces if desired, and serve.
Find the best grass-fed collagen HERE. Use code BEAUTIFUL10 at checkout for 10% off your entire order.
Which Fair Trade chocolate chips to buy?
- For Keto/Low Carb, use Lily's HERE.
- For Paleo, I recommened sweetened nibs HERE or homemade chocolate chips HERE (and butterscotch chips, if you want to add those too!).
- For great standard chocolate chips, I recommend Equal Exchange, HERE.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 176kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 141mg | Potassium: 40mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 440IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 0.3mg