I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
Oh friends! I had fun with this one!
I’ve chosen to share with you the most thoughtful, eco-friendly and loving gifts. I hope you’ll enjoy my picks and that they’ll help you to make one or more great choices for someone you love, or perhaps someone for whom it is hard to buy.
This post contains affiliate links. Thanks so much for supporting the work of Eat Beautiful.
I love books. So that’s the category I’ll open with:
Adult Gift Choices
- Unbowed: A Memoir by Wangari Maathai~ Wangari Maathai was indeed a spunky woman with a purpose. She grew up in rural Kenya. Your recipient will read with interest about what Kenya used to be like (a lush, verdant land!), and about how Indian foods brought over by the British, like processed oils and refined sugar, brought sickness to the African people. This modern heroine soldiered her life with planting back the native trees of her land. This is that tale. Her courageous story is also a fun read.
- Gaia’s Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture, 2nd Edition~ This beauty may become its recipient’s all-time favorite gardening book. The author teaches us how and why to create a backyard ecosystem. One’s yard doesn’t have to be large in order to work with nature, be productive, and to encourage sustainability. Soil, water, animal, insect life, and growing food are all included. Super practical and specific, as well as magical and inspiring.
- COOKBOOKS! If you’re interested in my four favorites, here’s the post… where I share~
- My Own Cookbook (Paleo and GAPS recipes, mostly treats) …and 3 others that cover….
- Everything Fermenting
- Egg-free AIP Baking
- The Best Soups
Kid & Family-friendly Choices
- The Vicar of Nibbleswicke by Roald Dahl~ If your beneficiary loves to laugh, loves puns, doesn’t mind a few mildly “bad” words and some potty humor, all for a good cause (laughter and family bonding), then this is an unexpectedly shocking foray, as only Roald Dahl could accomplish. This book is for the child who loves to read and for the child who does not yet know how much fun reading can be. It is an excellent read-aloud with an adult, or for the whole family, because of how funny it is.
- If you’d like recommendations for heart-warming children’s books or any kids’ books, feel free to mention that in the comments below. I could have a whole blog on the topic; and our house is FULL of books. They’re a passion of mine; and I’d love to share more recommendations!
- Fair Trade Capiz Necklace~ I love this option. It’s affordable, feminine, earthy, special AND hand-painted in the Philippines on sustainably harvested capiz shell. Beautiful.
- Handmade by low-income women artisans in India, this necklace is cool. It’s made of gold, silver and brass and perfect for someone in your life who likes funky and who will appreciate its origins.
FOR THE KITCHEN
- Every cook or cocktail maker needs one of these: a citrus squeezer. I’m putting one in my daughter’s stocking! Who loves fresh citrus juice best in your life? This tool is the best one on the market because it’s the lowest price, and yet it offers a lifetime warranty! A super affordable yet thoughtful gift that will be used often.
- Handsome, organic dish towels are hard to beat. I love these natural colors and that they can even be used in the bathroom, as hand towels. These are on my wish list. We go through dish towels; and bamboo is not only soft and absorbent, it’s also durable and less likely to stain.
Kid and family-friendly for the kitchen
- Fair Trade Kid’s Apron~ This adorable apron comes in various prints including blue elephants, red cupcakes and turquoise turtles. I love supporting the work of rural women in developing nations while at the same time helping a child’s view of the world to broaden. Cooking with kids is one of the best ways not only to bond with them, but also to help them to learn to eat well. Wearing an apron from Ghana allows a child to gain empathy and love for another land and its culture.
FOR THE PANTRY
- Dried Chaga Mushrooms, for tea!~ Are you aware that Amazon has a Wish List, where you can publicly place items you hope someone will buy you? This is very funny to me; and I never felt quite presumptuous enough to make my own Wish List. Until. These mushrooms. They cost $20. I couldn’t justify spending that on myself; so I tucked them away on my Wish List. Which is to say, these are really special; but not very many people will buy them for themselves. So if you have someone in your life who loves quirky gifts, who loves tea, who loves exploring new medicinal foods, then I recommend this pantry item as a really fun conversation piece gift, very thoughtful and truly bountiful for one’s health.
FOR THE DINING ROOM
- A teapot warmer!~ I love this idea! It’s super inexpensive yet super thoughtful. No one likes cold tea! This sweet little set-up is charming and functional.
- A French tea press~ Lovely! I use mine all. the. time. It is a life-giving and happy task to make tea; and this press makes the art that much more fun and attractive. Tea presses are also excellent in the summer months for steeping herbs and then placing in the fridge- iced tea!
- Stainless Steel French Coffee Press~ What a great gift! This French press not only makes an excellent cup of coffee, it also helps to insulate the coffee, huge bonus! I love my glass French press; but my coffee get cold! This one is also beautiful and will not break. It also works for tea.
FOR THE BATHROOM
- Beautiful soap is always a welcome gift. These are handmade with organic palm oil, beautiful to look at, and antibacterial naturally. The pure ingredients are excellent for overall skin health. They’re some of the prettiest soaps I’ve seen!
FOR THE FAMILY ROOM
- Make a 1000-Piece Puzzle from a Favorite Photo! All of my family is very “into” doing puzzles together right now- even my parents! My boys love to pull me into doing 500 piece puzzles with them; and for the first time in my life I love doing them! We’re choosing this gift for someone, but I won’t say who… Maybe I’ll update this post after Christmas to show you our surprise. 🙂
- Grounding Pad~ By now you may know about me how much I love earthing products. Choose the one that’s right for your budget, because they are all great and can be used with some versatility. I love this pad because it can be used while someone works on their computer, watches TV, relaxes with a book or even while they’re sleeping; and the price point is a good one.
I *really enjoy* buying gifts for others. So I could write this post all day! It’s like shopping for loved ones, so many caring thoughts going into each choice. Happy Holidays, friends. May your gifts convey love. And may your holiday be deep and bright.