I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
My kids literally line up for this healthy probiotic drink, and my husband loves it too. Lavender Blueberry Switchel is the perfect hydrating beverage for summer time, or after physical exertion — refreshing and delicious!
The combination of rich berries, flowery herbs, spicy ginger and a few optional super foods will have you making this quick treat often this sunny season.
This switchel is perfect for most diets and great for Paleo, GAPS and AIP diets.
What is Switchel?
This herbal brew only has a few necessary ingredients: honey or maple syrup, ginger, apple cider vinegar and water.
WHAT IS SWITCHEL GOOD FOR?
Both ginger and apple cider vinegar are hydrating, allowing the body to assimilate water better.
Traditionally, switchels were served to field workers to keep them healthy during long, hot days of labor. Historically, switchels trace back to various regions, including the Mediterranean, China and Israel. They were also very popular in the early Americas.
What’s fun is that switchels are also delicious. Switchels are so refreshing, providing almost instant nourishment.
We now add fruits and herbs to switchels to further enhance their flavor profile and their fun appeal!
I know you’ll love this variation with lavender and blueberries!
Is switchel alcoholic
Historically and usually, switchel is not alcoholic.
But it was consumed by the first American east coast college students, with alcohol added in.
Many people use switchel because it’s a great alternative to alcohol but feels like a special drink.
How much Lavender Blueberry Switchel should you drink a day?
That depends on how active you are. Blueberry Switchel is almost like a natural Gatorade meets smoothie.
You don’t need too much if you’re just sitting around in the shade.
But if you’re out working in the sun, you might enjoy two full glasses …
What are the benefits of switchel?
- Keeps you hydrated and energized!
- Switchel helps to restore electrolytes. Electrolytes are minerals that carry an electrical charge and are needed for energy.
- Blueberry Switchel provides a daily dose of apple cider vinegar and thus, can aid digestion when enjoyed with a meal.
- The high content of ginger in all switchels is great for detoxification, digestion and more.
- Whatever you sweeten your switchel with may have its own benefits, for example, raw honey.
Lavender Blueberry Switchel
- large pitcher
- 6 cups filtered water divided, preferably warm or room temperature
- 2 cups blueberries fresh or frozen (defrosted)
- ⅓ cup honey or maple syrup
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons dried lavender optional (omit for just straight Blueberry-Ginger Switchel) find link below in Recipe Notes
- 2 Tablespoons fresh ginger minced, or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 Tablespoon spirulina optional
- stevia optional (omit for AIP), to taste (my kids like it sweeter! and the flavors ARE more pronounced when it's sweeter)
- Combine the following ingredients in blender: 2 cups water, blueberries, honey, apple cider vinegar, ginger, optional spirulina and optional stevia.
- Puree on medium speed until blueberry skins are teeny, about 50 seconds. Add lavender and blend briefly again, about 10 seconds.
- Pour into tall 8-cup mason jar (see link below in Recipe Notes). Add final 4 cups water. Stir and leave out on the counter for a minimum of 4 hours, but preferably overnight. If you omit the lavender, you can also serve Blueberry-Ginger Switchel immediately.
- Chill and serve.
- This version of switchel includes puréed blueberries. If you want a super refreshing switchel that’s less smoothie-like, pour the finished switchel through a fine mesh strainer. Press on the solids or squeeze through a nut milk bag etc, to end up with a thinner treat.
- Add more fresh ginger for a spicier drink.
- The lavender is optional. Omit if you prefer.
- You may steep another fresh herb in the switchel while it sits, like basil or rosemary.
- Serve with fresh lime wedges.
Have you made switchel before? Read more about the history of switchels and get another lovely recipe (Strawberry-Basil!) HERE.
You might also love making Raspberry-Beet Kvass. Find that recipe HERE.