I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
Instant Pot Mushroom and Onion Crustless Quiche is an easy to make, affordable dinner. I love that the ingredients are accessible year round, so it’s a great go-to recipe any night of the week.
Ingredients in Instant Pot Mushroom and Onion Crustless Quiche
This crustless quiche features caramelized mushrooms, sauteed onions and loads of tender kale.
Creamy ricotta, raisins and lemon all take it to a new and special level.
The remaining ingredients are:
- cheddar cheese
- butter or ghee
- sea salt
How to make Instant Pot Mushroom and Onion Crustless Quiche
- Saute the mushrooms, onions and kale.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and cream together. Add the sea salt, raisins, lemon zest, ¾ of the cheese (reserving the rest for the top) and the mushroom-kale mixture, gently stirring to fully combine.
- Grease a 1.5 L dish that fits the Instant Pot, like this.
- Pour the mixture into the greased casserole dish. Evenly drop little dollops of ricotta into the custard filling. Place the glass lid on top of the casserole dish. Place the Instant Pot trivet inside the Instant Pot. Pour 1 cup of water into the Instant Pot. Carefully transfer the covered casserole dish to the Instant Pot on top of the trivet.
- Cook for 20 minutes on “Manual” setting.
The cookbook …
This recipe actually comes from The Art of Great Cooking with Your Instant Pot, and you can find it HERE.
If you’re interested, this cookbook features beautiful soups and stews and basic good main dishes in the IP, but also shares how to make healthy treats, gluten and grain-free.
I love that I have one book I can go to for yogurt recipes, bread recipes, cheesecakes and more.
A few of my favorite recipes so far include the winter squash and cheddar soup, the lemongrass meatballs (yum!), and the pumpkin bundt cake.
Instant Pot Mushroom & Onion Crustless Quiche
- Instant Pot or other pressure cooker
- 1.5 L casserole dish
- 2 Tablespoons butter or ghee, plus some butter for greasing dish
- 7 mushrooms button or cremini, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves grated or finely minced
- ½ teaspoon thyme dried
- ½ lb. kale dinosaur (lacinato), de-ribbed and chopped
- 6 eggs pastured
- ½ cup cream
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup raisins
- ½ cup cheddar cheese aged or sharp, shredded
- ¼ cup ricotta
- 1 cup water
- Add the butter to the Instant Pot and press “Sauté.” Once the fat has melted, add the mushrooms, onion, garlic and thyme, sautéing for 10 minutes until lightly caramelized. Add the kale and sauté for another 2 minutes just until wilted. Press the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button.
- With butter, grease a 1½-quart (1.5-L) casserole dish (I use one with a glass lid- see below in Recipe notes) that fits inside the Instant Pot. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and cream together until the eggs are fully incorporated. Add the sea salt, raisins, lemon zest, ¾ of the cheese (reserving the rest for the top) and the mushroom-kale mixture, gently stirring to fully combine. Pour the mixture into a greased casserole dish. Evenly drop little dollops of ricotta into the custard filling.
- Place the glass lid on top of the casserole dish. Place the Instant Pot trivet inside the Instant Pot. Pour 1 cup (237 ml) of water into the Instant Pot. Carefully transfer the covered casserole dish to the Instant Pot on top of the trivet. Place the lid on the Instant Pot, making sure the steam release valve is sealed. Press the “Manual” setting and decrease the time using the “-” button until you reach 20 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot is done and beeps, press “Keep Warm/Cancel.” Allow the Instant Pot to release pressure naturally for 10 minutes. Using an oven mitt, “quick release”/open the steam release valve. When the steam venting stops and the silver dial drops, carefully open the lid.
- Carefully remove the casserole dish from the Instant Pot and remove the lid. Next, add the leftover cheese to the top of the quiche. Either place the Instant Pot lid back on the Instant Pot for about 3 minutes to melt the cheese or carefully remove the casserole dish and place under a preheated broiler for 3 to 5 minutes to brown the cheese on the top.
- Serve hot or warm.
Instant Pot cooking
Do you have an Instant Pot already? Ultimately it comes down to if the Instant Pot makes your life easier!
For me it does. When we moved into our new tiny house, I chose just three appliances to keep, and this Instant Pot was one of the them. 🙂
The Sauté feature on it is nice, which is used in this recipe, because it means one less pan to get dirty.
In the summer, using the IP is a wonderful way to avoid heating up the house.
What I make in my Instant Pot
I make my bone broth in it, which makes it neat and fast — with a quick clean-up.
Here’s the Instant Pot I bought for myself and for my mom last Christmas. (She christened hers by making hard-boiled eggs, which is one of my favorite things to make it in too; they peel SO easily and are great for putting in weekday lunches.)