I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post. I am not a doctor; please consult your practitioner before changing your supplement or healthcare regimen.
Spaghetti Squash Fried Rice is a delectable Asian dinner everyone will love! Just double the recipe to serve 4 people. This meal is Paleo, Whole30, Keto and GAPS. My favorite thing about it, other than the taste?: Bake your spaghetti squash ahead of time (I outline the easiest method below!), and then the squash is ready when you want to make dinner. With an already baked squash, this dinner takes just 25 minutes total to make! Enjoy.
- 3-4 cups spaghetti squash already baked, see Recipe Notes below
- 1 cup green onions sliced
- 1 cup pork sausage , sautéed, or diced ham hock (If using ham hock, simply slow-cook it in your crock pot [I pop mine in with my bone broth~ effortless!])
- 1/4 cup sesame oil — toasted
- 1 tsp- 1 T. freshly grated ginger root depending on preference of spiciness (we use the full 1 T.)
- 1 large clove garlic crushed
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt
- coconut amino acids , to taste (about 1 T. sprinkled on at the end)
- 2 eggs optional- scramble them ahead of time, with a little sea salt, in sesame oil, breaking them into small pieces as they cook (set aside)
- Take one half of the winter squash and, using a large spoon, scoop out the entire contents in one section. Place it flat side down on a cutting board and make slices down. They will make the spaghetti squash strands into a rainbow-like arch. Take each arch and dice it so you "rice" the squash, having lots of short pieces. Repeat until the entire squash half is "riced."
- Heat 2 T. sesame oil in large cast iron skillet. Add the green onions and saute over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the ginger and pork, sauteing briefly. Top with spaghetti squash, sea salt (sprinkle it evenly over the squash) and garlic (evenly distribute). Fry for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining oil near the center of the pan and flip sections of the squash, using an offset metal spatula. Fry again for 5 minutes.
- Flip the squash again, in sections, to evenly brown. Optionally, reduce the heat and repeat one final time, until all squash is golden, the pork is browned and the dish is fragrant. Fold in optional scrambled egg that was set aside. Turn off heat.
- Garnish with coconut amino acids, sprinkling and stirring slightly. Serve.
How to Bake Spaghetti Squash AHEAD OF TIME 🙂 for Fried Rice
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cut the squash in half. De-seed the halves, rubbing the inside with animal fat, olive oil or ghee. Bake the halves face down on a greased cookie sheet until the squash is still al dente, not too soft, and until the strands shred easily and the edges are tinged with brown- about 40 minutes, depending on its size.
*If you have trouble cutting the whole squash in half* bake it whole for the first 20-25 minutes. Then, using hot pads or an oven mitt, remove it from the oven; cut in half and proceed with baking instructions as described- scooping out seeds, rubbing inside with fat and then baking for the additional time needed with the halves face down on a cookie sheet. The initial baking of it whole will make it very easy to cut in half.